Confirmed: Ross Wilson joins Nottingham Forest

5 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

But the issue is that if the DOF is not producing as expected then any coaches working alongside will be hamstrung by the liability of a DOF. 

Who knows if there is baggage there, maybe Beale wanted the job when Gerrard left and Wilson went elsewhere. Maybe Beale went above Wilsons head to come back (the infamous Aberdeen game he attended).

I think a recruiting strategy needs to be 50/50 from head coach and DOF/club. Not like what I perceived to happen under Gio where he only picked signings from a list of players he was given by the recruitment team (and the famous 'why didn't he sign any players he knew from holland), but at the same time not knocking back big bids for players because Gerrard said so.

There should be KPIs with which the board can hold the DoF to account. 

I still think any coach worth their salt should be able to get the best out of players at their disposal. If coaches need a perfect mix of players to get the basics done, they should not be here. 

It's up to the board and the DoF to work out the recruitment strategy. We can only judge decisions made, which is easy with hindsight. 

We must remember, though, that a 'DoF' does different things at different clubs, and they are responsible for a lot more than just recruitment. 

Just now, Bill said:

Hands up anyone who can guarantee the next DoF will be significantly better.

🙋

...but seriously, that is no reason to keep the status quo. That's exactly the reason we are stuck with this aging and losing squad.

Just now, Bill said:

Hands up anyone who can guarantee the next DoF will be significantly better.

The grass is always greener.

I'd like to see more of a moneyball-, Red Bull-type appointment. 

That's just me, though. I suspect I'm in the minority. 

2 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

🙋

...but seriously, that is no reason to keep the status quo. That's exactly the reason we are stuck with this aging and losing squad.

Keeping the status quo would be ridiculous.