Summer Signings

9 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Dont see what being 34 has to do with it. Messi is 35, would you not use him every week?

You don't see what a player's age has to do with how they are used? Have you ever watched football? :D 

I'd use them both every week. 

I wouldn't be starting them every week, though. (Messi is carried by the team now - not successfully by PSG, IMO - no matter how good he is.)

To be honest, I would give Arfield another year. I think he's good off the bench. I wouldn't start him at all, though. 

Just now, Tannochsidebear said:

I think we are going to be paying the price for our summer 22 transactions for a long time. Giving the 3 auld yins another year was bad enough [...]

WHAT'S THEIR AGE GOT TO DO WITH IT?! :D 

26 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You don't see what a player's age has to do with how they are used? Have you ever watched football? :D 

I'd use them both every week. 

I wouldn't be starting them every week, though. (Messi is carried by the team now - not successfully by PSG, IMO - no matter how good he is.)

To be honest, I would give Arfield another year. I think he's good off the bench. I wouldn't start him at all, though. 

I only want players who are fit and available to play on demand, not having to be managed due to age. If you need to pay an experienced internationalist like Arfield a full time wage, then you should be expecting him able to cope with playing as often as we play. If he cant, then replace with someone who can who may not have the experience, but is available and of similar qualities on the park. I really like Arfield as a player, but these type of players have not worked out well for us in recent years, and I do not believe we have got value for them, and as a result have also stifled youth development into the first team.

I keep seeing comments questioning / criticising the prices and value ('not at that price') of players.

I think we can all agree that Cantwell and Raskin have been good signings. 

How much would you pay for them?

1 minute ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I only want players who are fit and available to play on demand, not having to be managed due to age. If you need to pay an experienced internationalist like Arfield a full time wage, then you should be expecting him able to cope with playing as often as we play. If he cant, then replace with someone who can who may not have the experience, but is available and of similar qualities on the park. I really like Arfield as a player, but these type of players have not worked out well for us in recent years, and I do not believe we have got value for them, and as a result have also stifled youth development into the first team.

Oh, I see. I think we've both misunderstood each other. 

I agree. 

I don't think Arfield can play every week, which is where my 'he's 34' comment was coming from. I like Arfield, too, which is why I would give him another year, to come off the bench and to have that professionalism around the place.

However, if we can get someone else in to replace him, I'd prefer that. 

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Trimming the squad should be the main focus for Beale and whoever comes in to replace Wilson. 

If we need to, we should just bite the bullet and pay some of the perma-crocks off.  

I'm of the same opinion. 

Roofe and Helander, for example, will be on a lot of money - rightly so, because they are good players - but we really need to see that investment on the field much more often. 

Let's break it down:

Released / Sold

New Signing

GK    
    McGregor    
    McLaughlin    
    McCrorie    
    AN Other    

RWB RCB CB LCB LWB
Tavernier Souttar Goldson Davies Barisic
Devine   AN Other King Yilmaz

RCM DM LCM  
  Cantwell Jack Raskin  
  Arfield Kamara Tillman*  
    Lundstram    
    AN Other    

AM    
    Hagi    
    Kent    
    Lawrence    
    Lowry    

RF ST LF  
  Wright Morelos Matondo  
  AN Other Roofe Sakala  
  AN Other Colak    
    AN Other  

22 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Let's break it down:

Released / Sold

New Signing

GK    
    McGregor    
    McLaughlin    
    McCrorie    
    AN Other    

RWB RCB CB LCB LWB
Tavernier Souttar Goldson Davies Barisic
Devine AN Other AN Other King Yilmaz

RCM DM LCM  
  Cantwell Jack Raskin  
  Arfield Kamara Tillman*  
    Lundstram    
    AN Other    

AM    
    Hagi    
    Kent    
    Lawrence    
    Lowry    

RF ST LF  
  Wright Morelos Matondo  
  AN Other Roofe Sakala  
  AN Other Colak    
    AN Other  

Seriously, you'd keep Kamara, Matondo and Wright? And spend 5 or 6 million on Tillman?