Should Gersnet feature on BBC Scotland?

Should Gersnet feature on BBC Scotland?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gersnet feature on BBC Scotland?

4 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

It's a no from me. They have not come anywhere near close to impartiality in recent times, just read 26th's regular updates for what goes on with that broadcaster. They dont get to slaughter us at every point, then reach out the odd time so they can claim to tick the "balanced" box. 

I would be informing them that up until now there has been no degree of impartiality, but if they showed over coming weeks and months a bit of balance then perhaps a future appearance would be considered.

I think that you are right.

Is it the case that BBC Scotland needs Rangers' support more than the Rangers' support needs BBC Scotland? 

If the offer is declined, then I do think that the reasons for this should be made clear to BBC, and made as public as possible. 

21 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Do it otherwise they’ll get somebody less able they can make a fool of.

I still think this is the best amongst the "for" arguments. The BBC will persuade somebody to go on in order to tick their balanced coverage checkbox, so I'd like it be the least compliant person possible. And if they do somehow manage to ambush and misrepresent Frankie, he's got a big enough social media presence to get his objections heard.

3 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Maybe Frankie should send them a link to this thread and encourage them to read it through? then I'm certain the offer will get rescinded!!!!

Such faith in the BBC and it's willingness to allow Rangers fans to freely express an opinion is touching.

I'm confident the BBC is already well aware of the routine criticism it receives from Gersnet. Maybe we think the Gersnet owner is being invited specifically because his website is critical of the BBC and they generously think such criticism should reach a wider audience? I'm sure that's it.

I'd like to hear Frankie stating our (the Rangers support) case on Sportsound but wouldn't bet on him getting a fair chance to do so.  

This situation has a bit of a Schrodinger's cat vibe about it - until he tries, we won't know.  

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'd like to hear Frankie stating our (the Rangers support) case on Sportsound but wouldn't bet on him getting a fair chance to do so.  

This situation has a bit of a Schrodinger's cat vibe about it - until he tries, we won't know.  

Or it could be a double Schrodinger ... after he tries, we still won't know.

On 20/04/2023 at 14:34, Frankie said:

In recent weeks, I've been asked by Kenny Macintyre to appear on Sportsound on a Saturday evening but, for a variety of reasons, have so far declined.

FWIW, I am somewhat open for myself (or someone from our podcast) to do so in the future. I've listened to the new format and it has been quite good - even if those featured are hardly our friends. There was a Rangers supporter whom I don't know that was on last weekend and he seemed to do OK though I didn't hear the whole segment.

Obviously there's the argument that we should refrain from being involved due to issues between the broadcaster and the club - this is a strong argument and a difficult one to counter. However, playing devil's advocate, how can we change hearts and minds without a voice and I'd rather it was someone I trusted to avoid ambush and play the game...

As it stands Rangers also deal with the BBC so we're not going against any issue there.

As such my question is simple and I'd like to open up to the core site membership - should Gersnet appear on the show going forward?  Yea or Nay?

I have thought long and hard and feel Frankie is the very man to participate on our behalf, the Lothian Lip as you might say.

It is the old professionalism, patrol right up to the FEEP(forward edge of the enemy position) and patrol through into the depth areas. It would good to know the names of the Producers involved with the shows regularly dealing with matters Rangers?

I have flagged up, 'Celtic State of Mind' regularly. They are PQ's de facto mouthpiece for matters Sellik; so much so, they are now part and parcel of the Presentation. Amy Canavan is across both radio and TV, the wooing of Frankie and other Rangers supporters is a box ticking exercise to allow Celtic State of Mind to continue - we have heard from one, let's hear from the other type exercise.

Rangers supporters know BBC Scotland does NOT play fair in these matters. The very fact Kenny Macintyre is contacting Frankie is wrong, it should be the show's Producer. We know Kenny Mac is literally the last surviving blue nose in the building and he is ragged massively for it. I would say the Producers want nothing to do with Rangers supporters appearing, it is already all on Kenny Mac's head.

There is a massive difference from some fans being allowed into the building ie the Gang Hut seeing how it operates and others being held at the end of a telephone connection. I am reminded of David Edgar seated in Central Station competing regularly with a Tannoy and Spiers in the studio at PQ. It is simple but highly effective - being asked to defend a position whilst coping with all sorts of positional interference.

Here's a true story from my the end of my time as a Board member of the RST. We were invited into PQ after five years continuous complaints. The invitation was via BBC HQ down south. PQ were told to take the meeting due to constant evidence provided complaints. Mike Small and three others met with our three members delegation. We were met at reception and shown into an office to the left of reception, we looked out on to the river. We had an hour to state our case. Notes were taken and we were showed out the building. As we were approaching the revolving door, I was asked by a PQ Lackey, "how do you think it went"? I answered, "I would have done the same, office to the side of reception, keep the building as closed as your ears".

This is Sportsound we’re talking about, not the bleeding Brains Trust. Frankie will be able to hold his own with any or all of them.

The only danger is sound engineering skullduggery but his own recording should be able to take care of that.