The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I agree with your first sentence, and partly agree with your second - or, you're right, but I disagree on how relevant those barren seasons are. :D 

Like I've argued, his xG is actually quite low. To put it another way, no one can score 20 goals from 2 chances, not even Haaland; it's impossible.

His xG will be a lot higher with us, because he'll get more chances. What's important is whether he can take them. History suggests he slightly under-performs his xG. If we give him the chances, he'll score more than half of them. 

Pop Tv Laughing GIF by Schitt's Creek

51 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Does anybody remember Wim Jansen, a fhilth manager for a season? He bought, for a Haagen Dazs, a Swedish player from Lucsasfilm Central Casting, whom no one had heard of, who did not start regularly for Feyenoord, and whose record was less than earth shattering.

I often wonder what happened to that player. 

That was a game-changer. If they hadn't brought him in (or we had signed him) we could have got 20 in a row.

28 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Yeah, I don't do that either.

I don't agree or disagree. They're just an irrelevance to me. I'm going into the preseason hoping all of our signings will be wonderful, and I'm excited because we'll have new players and I have very little or no opinion on them until I actually see them play.

I remember when we signed Herrera and Alfie. In the first friendly at Ibrox, Herrera played firs half and Morelos the second and it was clear that Alfie was by far the better player. I didn't know anything about either beforehand.

It's not to say that I'm denigrating the use of statistics. I've just personally got no interest in them and it's disappointing to see many (not you) using them and writing off Lammers before they understand how we're going to use him. or how he's going to perform in a Rangers jersey.

Literally no one here has written Lammers off.

4 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

That was a game-changer. If they hadn't brought him in (or we had signed him) we could have got 20 in a row.

Agreed. My point is that the guy came from almost nowhere, and proceeded to tear up not just the odd tree, but the entire Caledonian Pine Forest. 

Not a sparkling CV, or stats reel, not a substantial fee, and no one, including the pundits and fitba' writers, as far as I recall, predicted the seismic impact.

(M. Rousseau, of course, may be able to dig -or dream!- up statistics which demonstrate that he was a Kraken in waiting, all along. Let's see.....)

Perhaps we should wait until Lammers, or, indeed, whomever, categorically proves himself a dud, before we throw fits. 

It's worth remembering, too, that while we can make guys millionaires, we can't put them into the contemporary stratosphere, wealth wise. 

23 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Agreed. My point is that the guy came from almost nowhere, and proceeded to tear up not just the odd tree, but the entire Caledonian Pine Forest. 

Not a sparkling CV, or stats reel, not a substantial fee, and no one, including the pundits and fitba' writers, as far as I recall, predicted the seismic impact.

(M. Rousseau, of course, may be able to dig -or dream!- up statistics which demonstrate that he was a Kraken in waiting, all along. Let's see.....)

Perhaps we should wait until Lammers, or, indeed, whomever, categorically proves himself a dud, before we throw fits. 

It's worth remembering, too, that while we can make guys millionaires, we can't put them into the contemporary stratosphere, wealth wise. 

I'm of the opinion that the stats would have shown des ingrédients de bonne qualité that may not be initially apparent from a surface level look. 

Alas! I don't have access to stats that go back that far.

Nevertheless, sometimes players just click in their surroundings.