The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

12 hours ago, Bluedell said:

However ultimately I don't know for sure, but can't imagine we'd be going with Balogun as number 4 given our expenditure elsewhere. It wouldn't make sense. 

Well that I agree with. It doesn't make sense. But it does look that way to me at present. 

14 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Apparently Sterling said last week that he plays at right back or left back but doesn't play centre back. 

That now means the only CB we’ve brought in so far is Balogen who has effectively replaced Helander.

Id have thought CB (& GK)would have been top priorities 

10 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

That now means the only CB we’ve brought in so far is Balogen who has effectively replaced Helander.

Id have thought CB (& GK)would have been top priorities 

I think strikers/forwards were top priority, then GK, then CB. 

We filled the forwards and GK, so we now need a CB, irrespective of Balogun, IMO.

40 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think strikers/forwards were top priority, then GK, then CB. 

We filled the forwards and GK, so we now need a CB, irrespective of Balogun, IMO.

I don't share the widespread pessimism about Balogun, who I think is excellent value for money as short-term cover. However, I'd be surprised if MB thinks we don't still need a more permanent CB, although he might be hedging his bets against having to wait until January if he's not be able to sign the right CB in this window.

In any case, it was never realistic to think we could solve all our problems in one go.

A warm welcome back to Leon Balogun, so at least that is two players I have heard of that we have signed this summer alongside the keeper!

A decent defender who really got what we were about and, alongside Katic, should not have been let go at that time when we retained/recruited others, all of which have been largely unavailable and in most cases very expensive.

After posting the above and reading some of the other comments, I went back to page 1 and see that Sterling is listed as a CB there. At 23 I assume he is supposed to be first team material (although the level he has played at to date would not appear to suggest he is first team ready) so are not thinking he is going to be first pick starter at the start of this new season?