The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

21 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Of course we slated him. He missed an open goal and we lost the game. Any player in the world would get slated if they missed an open goal and then lost the game. 

The point is: you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

x2. Cup Finals. V Them.

10 hours ago, Bill said:

Sakala isn’t in the same league as McCoist

He isn’t and won’t be. The point is that while he misses chances he’s there to miss them which means he’s read the play and got himself into position. 

McCoist confronted in interview about missed chances in a game assured the interviewer he’d be back the next week to miss them again.  Sakala’s got a bit of that.

1 minute ago, Scott7 said:

McCoist confronted in interview about missed chances in a game assured the interviewer he’d be back the next week to miss them again.  Sakala’s got a bit of that.

You could rely on McCoist to turn up and score in the big matches. Cant say the same of Sakala.

5 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, you're right. 

Just release him, then. 

Then crucify the b*stard.

Then flay him for good measure. 

That's a bit extreme, but ultimately he cant be relied on when it counts. 

Even that goal v them at Ibrox in the 3-0 game.. I've watched that goal 50 times. if I watch it now I'm still not sure he will score.

29 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

That's a bit extreme, but ultimately he cant be relied on when it counts. 

Even that goal v them at Ibrox in the 3-0 game.. I've watched that goal 50 times. if I watch it now I'm still not sure he will score.

If 'when it counts' is 4 out of 38 match days and he's contributing game in game out outside of that then I'll take it, we need players like that to build a squad capable of consistently winning titles.

Strange really, Sakala is probably the only player we have in this current squad who actually causes Celtic trouble..his record against them is pretty decent overall. Compare that to Morelos.

Edited by yuddie

34 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

He isn’t and won’t be. The point is that while he misses chances he’s there to miss them which means he’s read the play and got himself into position. 

McCoist always knew a good soundbite when he heard one but that doesn't mean it's some sort of profound truth. 

I'd also gently point out that every player who ever missed a scrabble chance was there to miss them - it's not an alternative virtue, it's a failure. If all you're going to do is miss an opportunity to score, you'd be as well doing it from a seat in the stands. We can't win games or titles by being "there to miss them". What we need are strikers who are "there to score them". 

I was disappointed when McCoist didn't score. I'm enthused when Sakala does score. 

4 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I like Sakala, I think we all do, but I'm fed up of not winning very much.

We're just not ruthless enough with guys who are nearly good enough for us.

It worth reminding ourselves the calibre of player we had when we first returned to the premier league. We'd be horrified to see most of them in the current squad and in due course I hope we'll look back on last season's squad and think the same thing. This long road to full recovery inevitably means progressing from what used to be acceptable to the higher quality that's needed for the next step.