The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

16 minutes ago, compo said:

Anyone have stats for how many goals he helps concede against his scoring rate if we’re going to be honest he’s a crap defender 

Difficult. Defending is a team exercise. 

There are stats out there but you have to pay, so I don't have access. 

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Difficult. Defending is a team exercise. 

There are stats out there but you have to pay, so I don't have access. 

I would give him an extended run as an old fashioned right half thereby removing him from frontline a defensive roll he does have the ability to get up and down the pitch.

On 29/07/2023 at 10:05, CammyF said:

Whilst we all would like immediate success, it wad always going to take a while to become the top club again. Whilst 1 league title, 1 Scottish Cup and a EL final doesn't sound like much, it's something to build upon.

My only quibble is that the board didn't back SG after 55 (and noticeable progress in Europe).

The summer signings are on paper at least, very exciting prospects. MB's role now is to get them into a system of playing that plays to their strengths and brings out the best n them.

I'm really excited about the season ahead and not often I've said that in the last decade.

Whilst 1 league title, 1 Scottish Cup and a EL final doesn't sound like much, it's something to build upon.

Doesn't sound like much? Sounds pretty good to me! But how can we build upon that when we have ripped up practically the entire squad and started almost from scratch? Rather evolution than revolution in this case.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

We have a tremendous asset in Tavernier: 30 goal contributions a season from FB is phenomenal. 

Is it worth removing that for a FB that can defend? 

Or do we compensate by defending differently?

I'm in the latter camp. 

Three at the back would do it for me; I think we now have the personnel with the return of Goldson and maybe we need a left-sided CB. That way we get to keep Tav and his rampaging runs.

I said yesterday that Tav is a bit dopey and I stand by it; foul throws, misjudging his touch for the ball to go out of play/past him and just a very gammy way of using his body.

If we can slam Sakala for being 'shite' even though his numbers are remarkable then I think it's fair to do the same for Tav, he sort of runs and strikes the ball in a similar way to how he runs up to the penalty, but in general play...if that makes sense? Exaggerated and gammy. He was way too lax in the UEL final, looking surprised when he was pressed.

Edited by yuddie

38 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Whilst 1 league title, 1 Scottish Cup and a EL final doesn't sound like much, it's something to build upon.

Doesn't sound like much? Sounds pretty good to me! But how can we build upon that when we have ripped up practically the entire squad and started almost from scratch? Rather evolution than revolution in this case.

Because we needed to replace most of the squad. In hindsight, it's probably 2 or 3 windows too late, but we've done it this window and have added quality to Raskin and Cantwell who both impressed since joining. 

I'm excited about the forthcoming season, whether we win the league is debatable, Celtic are rightly favourites but I believe we have rhe quality to match them. Will depend on how quickly the team blends. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Take out the contribution of Tavernier (30), Morelos (19) and Colak (21), which is around 70 goal contributions. 

And then spread them between Lammers, Danilo, Dessers and Sima? Around 17 goal contributions each. 

It's doable, but they'd all need to have good seasons. And those four won't play every match - they can't; there's not enough places. (And Morelos was poor, and so was Colak in terms of assists.)

Everyone is grateful for a fullback scoring so many goals when the rest of the team is scoring too few. However, it's perverse to go out and recruit strikers and still persevere with a defender who is so clearly poor at defending. If anything, Tav has covered up a glaring inadequacy that should have been addressed long ago - now it has and it's time to stop compromising our defensive standards. I dare say we can find another penalty taker. Maybe even someone to take throw-ins! This has nothing to do with loyalty to a player and everything to do with the good of the team as a whole.

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

The problem with our "Full Backs" is that they are too often playing infield and getting beaten by balls over the top too easily.

Stop this IMO.

It's a hard one tbh. I noticed that Liverpool have suffered defensively over the last few seasons with teams playing quick balls beyond their attacking full backs.

4 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

It's a hard one tbh. I noticed that Liverpool have suffered defensively over the last few seasons with teams playing quick balls beyond their attacking full backs.

And yet it wasn't a problem before that when they pressed properly. It's their pressing that has dropped off; the defence has remained the same.