Fashion Sakala: Awful or useful?

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I know but if we had a striker playing today that was effectively 1 goal in 3.5 games, we would be asking questions. 

He was always 3rd choice striker and would be played wide right. 

I thought he'd scored more but was always effective for us.

Just now, CammyF said:

He was always 3rd choice striker and would be played wide right. 

I thought he'd scored more but was always effective for us.

Sakala is similar now but there are those calling for him to be punted. 

8 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Valid point, no one expects or wants him to lead the line but if he can keep getting 20 g/a a season with 15-20 starts a season + sub appearences in a 60 game season then I'd be happy with that.

Also a wider point on expectations now vs 20/30 years ago and past greats, I firmly believe if Neil McCann had played for us today fans would scream for him to be punted because his 'numbers' were poor. Even compared to Kent. Modern change in mindset.

There's a few heroes and greats who are like that.

19 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Valid point, no one expects or wants him to lead the line but if he can keep getting 20 g/a a season with 15-20 starts a season + sub appearences in a 60 game season then I'd be happy with that.

Also a wider point on expectations now vs 20/30 years ago and past greats, I firmly believe if Neil McCann had played for us today fans would scream for him to be punted because his 'numbers' were poor. Even compared to Kent. Modern change in mindset.

There's a few heroes and greats who are like that.

Our memories are often inaccurate, too. 

You always need those players, anyway. 

@Sutton_blows_goats always talks about Maurice Ross and Bob Malcolm. Average players at best, but integral squad players. 

I'm actually a big fan of Fashions, I've blown hot and cold over him at times, though. . All the comments are pretty fair about his strengths and weaknesses, however what hasn't been mentioned is that he's also learning and improving. He demonstrated that with his goal on Saturday, he was in a similar position against the same opposition before and crumbled, this time he took a better route around the keeper and scored. Okay, just one example, but I really think he will continue to improve if he gets games and I'll be hoping he can prove his critics wrong and nail down a place in the starting 11.  So, yes, he's more than useful, for me. 

Edited by weebluedevil

I remember when Harry Redknapp was at Spurs the sub asked him what do you want me to do and Arry just said go on and run about son that will confuse them and keep them wondering Sakala is that kind on luxury 

On 16/05/2023 at 20:12, Rousseau said:

If Sakala would only make a pilgrimage to the Shankill and sing the Sash on YouTube he would be lionised like no other and no one would call for him to leave.

10 hours ago, Bill said:

If Sakala would only make a pilgrimage to the Shankill and sing the Sash on YouTube he would be lionised like no other and no one would call for him to leave.

He did his best with his reference to "the other lot"