Alan Hutton worth on his current form? there have been some big clubs being banded about of late and they all have one thing in common, loads of cash. It wouldnt suprise me if someone came in at xmas with a 10 mill plus offer.

the questions that follow are

1. will he want to leave Rangers?

2. will walter and co want to sell him?

I think the answer would be no on both counts but the person that would be the deciding factor in the whole equasion is be David Murray. weve had our fair share of bad debts and by all accounts were not out of the woods yet. Could we afford to knock back a multimillion pound offer?

It will show the true level of our ambition when the question is put to the Rangers board, and it will come. If we can hold on to players of Huttons calibre over the long term it will show the fans that Murray does indeed mean business.

In fact if we are to have any sort of future at all we have to.

I'd contend he's worth as much as Craig Gordon/Stilian Petrov.

Would we sell him? If the offer was that sort of amount and if we had a player who could replace him for say, half the fee; then yes, I think we probably would.

I would hold off to the summer. There is more money to be won in the CL(or at least the same) than the fee we would get, so it would not make economic sense to sell him in January.

Unless he gets badly injured he will be worth at least the same in the summer.

If we are knocked out the CL then Murray may decide to cash in sooner rather than later but i doubt it to be honest. I think it will take funny money to get him in January.

The valuve of his current contract will have something to do with as will the fact he plays in the SPL - although the scottish game is getting stronger.

But if we were to look at just value only then if Michael Ball was 6 million then Hutton should be 12 million. But maybe we over paid for Ball either that didnt see the best out of him due to injury.

I wouldnt take a penny less than 9 million for him, but would much rather he signed a new deal and stayed.

I was thinking about the "SPL factor" yesterday too Gribz - but I am not convinced that it would be too significant - only reason I say so is because Hutton has now performed incredibly well against Stuttgart, Lyon, Barcelona and of course France - so he has been up against some of the world's best and come through with flying colours.

There will no doubt still be some of that "he only plays in Scotland" mentality - but given the standard of opposition he has faced in Europe and his first couple of internationals I think teams will be taking note of those performances first and foremost.

If we're offered 9M for him next summer then I don't think we could turn it down. Our net spending was around 10M this summer and we had to borrow most of that, increasing our debt to a less comfortable level.

But with that 10M we have pretty much rebuilt our squad to a very high standard so another 9M could bring in a decent right back as well as a few more players required for key positions which would take our squad up a level.

It would also allow us to use the CL proceeds to reduce the debt again. Remember, we can only spend like we did in the summer while the debt is low, and so need to keep the debt low most years for emergency treatment such as we've just performed.

However, if we don't sell Hutton, we still need to try and get top dollar for a few of our fringe players who don't fit in our plans as well as some new guys who may not have fitted in.

Buffel doesn't seem to be the right kind of player for the way our team is now playing, so getting him back to fitness and playing well in the SPL could net us a couple of mil.

Whittaker is struggling, and if he's still that way by the end of the season we may have to try and recoup as much of his 2M fee as we can.

If Smith comes back to full fitness and skill level then it maybe time so say goodbye to Papac for 1M or so, however, I'd like to keep him as he's been totally solid.

Burke is another who may need to be moved on but his wages are now prohibative for other teams as is his very poor form and terrible fitness record.

The fact he's now producing great performances for us in the CL and for Scotland are getting him noticed. Its been interesting to see that the English media now mention him and Scott Brown in the same sentence when talking about the most talented Scottish players at the moment. Should he be in any rush to move though? He's still improving and is young enough to stay for a while yet before moving.

I'd say on current form we could get 5-8M for him. Which is pretty amazing and I have to say if we got an offer near the top of that scale and he wanted to leave, we'd probably have to let him go.

hes just signed a 5 year contract which puts in pole position when it comes to negotiating a price. but hutton will do well to stay under the wing of messers Smith, McCoist & Mcdowall as his good form seems to coincide with their arrival at Ibrox. Personally I think he will stay a couple of years at least. and who knows, if he stays long enough he may even become a Rangers legend.