[FT] Rangers 1 (Lammers 64) - 2 Newcastle United

I only caught parts of the match last night, but Dowell seemed to put himself about quite a bit I thought, worked hard in defence, not just attacking. 

The main thing that stood out to me was that Hagi seemed like the best player on the pitch, whenever I caught up with the game it was Hagi with an intelligent cross or pass, creating something.

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

What does everyone see in Ridvan? I'm at a loss why anyone thinks he's an improvement on Barasic. Borna can't defend but at least he can cross, Yilmaz can't even do that. There are rides at the shows he can't get on, my heart sinks when I think of what we paid for him. 

That aside not sure there's much to take from the match. Newcastle have better players than us, perhaps not unexpected when they spent £415 million assembling them, but the gulf wasn't cavernous although it felt like they had another gear if they wanted it. With the exception of the keeper our defence is unchanged, that might be a worry. Lundstram looks like he's starting this season like last season. Hopefully someone will convince him it's actually March and he'll find some form. A bit early to judge the new guys but as I'm a Rangers fan I won't let that stop me forming hard opinions and fighting to the death for them. Butland is too handsome for a goalie, get him punted, I've taken an instant dislike to him and that's unlikely to change. A midfield of Dowell, Raskin and Rice should carry us to glory. The big Dutchman looks like a handful and Sima is certainly strong, hopefully he's got a bit more than that too. 

Big season ahead for Lowry, whether it's on loan at St Johnstone or in our first team he needs to start playing regular football or his career will be one of what might have been. 

Harsh John. Ridvan has about a dozen starts under his belt so it's early. We need to give him a chance as we need to move on from Barasic. 

13 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

It's not like Rangers fans to overreact and make rash early judgements based on a preseason testimonial kick about...

🙄

Watching the game, I was mildly disappointed that we seemed no better than we were last season. Maybe I got caught up in the promise of all the new signings but you are probably correct - it was a testimonial after all.

Thankfully, we wont have to face a team of Newcastle's quality very often. How the team play when we have 70% possession against a packed defence will be interesting to see and make the comparison to last season a bit easier to judge.

Nice to see the team again.

Put on a decent show against a very wealthy, and well equipped side. 

It was nice to catch a glimpse of what Beale has cookin for the upcoming season.

Souttar looked good

Cantwell looked good

Lammers worked his ass off.

Considering the opponent we did pretty well.