[FT] Rangers 2 (Sakala 38; Taverner 45+1pen) - 1 Hamburg

13 hours ago, yuddie said:

Pretty sure Sakala has 2 years left, didn't he sign a 4 year deal on a Bosman 2 seasons ago?

If anything I'd be looking to give him another couple of years on top if he can supplement the attack this season with 20+ g/a in rotation.

Invaluable.

Apologies I think you’re right, Sakala has 2 years left on his contract.

I agree he has made a decent contribution since coming to Rangers but if he’s not going to be used with all these new arrivals up front we should maybe cash in on him now.

9 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

As I was travelling back from hols today I’ve only just caught up with the match thread, and it seems to have been mission accomplished as far as Beale is concerned. A lot of players got game time and there were no injuries. That is all I look for from these pre-season games, they really mean nothing apart from that. We should be seeing sharpness and our shape improving as these games continue to ensure we are ready for Killie on 5th Aug, when the crucial CL qualifier a few days later.

Must admit I’d like to see our new signings ( particularly the forwards we’ve signed) getting a few goals under their belts before the season starts

10 hours ago, CammyF said:

I thought the UBs sounded great today. Since reverting to wearing blue instead of black, they look aesthetically better as well. 

Is that going to a thing going forward? I wasn't sure if it was just for the preseason friendlies.

Watched the game back this morning because of how choppy the live coverage was and to be honest, for all of Gio's faults as a manager with us we could actually build through the middle of the park competently at home and even in Europe (Dortmund, PSV) under him whereas I still think we're obsessed with the edges when playing out under Beale, maybe it's necessary but I definitely think we were a better passing side under gio through the thirds, problem was we'd recycle and do it 2 or 3 times over and not get a shot off.

Looking forward to the season regardless.

26 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Is that going to a thing going forward? I wasn't sure if it was just for the preseason friendlies.

Hope it is something they'll do going forward. 

3 hours ago, yuddie said:

Watched the game back this morning because of how choppy the live coverage was and to be honest, for all of Gio's faults as a manager with us we could actually build through the middle of the park competently at home and even in Europe (Dortmund, PSV) under him whereas I still think we're obsessed with the edges when playing out under Beale, maybe it's necessary but I definitely think we were a better passing side under gio through the thirds, problem was we'd recycle and do it 2 or 3 times over and not get a shot off.

Looking forward to the season regardless.

There are defo elements of this I agree with. After the recent debate on this forum over our supposed system I think it's fair to say there is some confusion over our style of play/system. Imo we are a little slack in terms of disipline, or maybe there are just to many players who are free to float for my taste. This must make covering much harder and leeds to slip ups, which we are prone to.

1 hour ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

There are defo elements of this I agree with. After the recent debate on this forum over our supposed system I think it's fair to say there is some confusion over our style of play/system. Imo we are a little slack in terms of disipline, or maybe there are just to many players who are free to float for my taste. This must make covering much harder and leeds to slip ups, which we are prone to.

We are playing different systems depending on who is on the pitch at any certain time. 

Pre-season is all about getting minutes into all the players so it will always look a bit disjointed. 

Think is obvious we're looking at a high press and have scored goals against Newcastle and Humburg pressing them. 

We are also looking to build from the back but our best exponents of this are Goldson and Souttar. 

Think it's a little early to worry about players form, tactics, systems etc, it's all about getting players fitness levels to where they are required to be. 

Just me that thought Roofe looked like the best forward at the club during his 20 minute cameo? Oh for a fit Roofe all season. Thought big Lammers looked okay when he came on too. I'm sure Dessers and Sima will improve with games. Still not sure what any of you are seeing in Ridvan. 

Sakala brings something to the squad that currently no one else does. He's fast, he's direct, he's energetic and he can cut inside or outside. His shooting and decision making need work as does his grasp of the offside law, but I'd keep him in the squad if we can afford it. 

Like the look of Dowell and quietly impressed by Rice. I'm not sure how much game time he'll get this season but you wouldn't be concerned if you saw his name on our team sheet now, can't say that about many 16 year olds. 

Our 'homegrown' requirement for European football will be interesting this season. Assuming they're fit then Jack and Soutter are obvious. Perhaps a keeper, if McCrorie moves on then maybe Keiran Wright. Rice, Devine and Lowry probably. Yfeko won't qualify so we're into guys like Lovelace and McCausland who don't look like they're ready for the 1st team. It's a surprise to me we've not moved for some Scottish players. We could have afforded Nisbet, maybe Kenny McLean, after all we've signed every other Norwich player, maybe even James McArthur who could play the games Jack can't.