[FT] Rangers 2 (Sakala 38; Taverner 45+1pen) - 1 Hamburg

Just now, ian1964 said:

I always thought with Kent leaving that Sakala may replace him, which I believe is his best position. 

Yes, I think he does favour the left side, so he can cut inside. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think MB is happy. 

He's frustratedly trying to get across some tactical ideas. 

He will be happy that HSV like Newcastle provide tough opposition, so he can evaluate his players' current level of performance. 

Sima somehow doesn't look like a winger to me. Early days still, but the way he moves about looks more like a target man up top.

Just now, der Berliner said:

He will be happy that HSV like Newcastle provide tough opposition, so he can evaluate his players' current level of performance. 

Sima somehow doesn't look like a winger to me. Early days still, but the way he moves about looks more like a target man up top.

Yes, I suppose that's all that matters, but we should be working on our plan of attack for this season. 

Sima will play as a forward for us, I think. 

Sounds like I'm in the minority. I was not impressed. 

We had some good chances, but I didn't feel they came about through anything we did; it was mainly counters. 

That's not a bad thing - counterattacks are a key phase of the game - but I'd like to see us create from open play, through initiating our own attack, building through the thirds. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

We had some good chances, but I didn't feel they came about through anything we did; it was mainly counters. 

That's not a bad thing - counterattacks are a key phase of the game - but I'd like to see us create from open play, through initiating our own attack, building through the thirds. 

We have been good in patches and did create a few chances from open play!

Albeit this is a pre-season loosener, it's been fairly disjointed but I think there have been some glimmers of positivity. Dowell, Hagi, Raskin, Yilmaz, Davies, Balogun and Butland all look comfortable and keen. And of course Fashion Jr is ..... well, Fashion Jr.

Sima looks like a man lost overboard, trying to remember whether or not he can swim. And the question keeps coming up - are we wasting our time with Matondo?

If I were Beale I'd be particularly happy with the commitment of Hagi, Yilmaz, Raskin and Dowell. 

New team for the second half.

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Wasn't there a big chance that came from Butland through to Dowell in the box?

I agree with @Frankie on Dowell btw, it's amazing what players with good fitness in their prime or coming up to it can do to a team. Early days but I think you can see the profiling that Beale has done is hopefully going to make an impact.