[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 52pen) - 3 Olympiacos

Just wanted to add a post script to previous comments...

We have Danilio coming in and everyone will undoubtedly get excited but Danilio won't make any difference if we don't have a discernable shape/identity. That is the key to getting the best out of our new recruits (and old faces).

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

Into midfield, I'm not sure of the system. It doesn't look like a diamond as the main striker has been too isolated

It looked to me to be switching between a diamond and a Christmas tree type set up, with Lammers behind Dessers but Sima switching between being high beside Dessers when we do have the ball but being in line with Lammers when we don’t have the ball. 

When we played the Christmas tree formation under Gerrard, we had Kamara/ Davis, Jack and Aribo in the 3. I’d say that’s a much more solid 3 with 2 traditional centre mids and 1 more attack minded. At the moment, we only have Raskin who is a traditional centre mid, with basically 3 attack minded midfielders in front of him. I don’t see the balance there at all, and it shows. 

One thing that is consistent in football is that defenders look terrible when they aren’t protected by the midfield. I think there is too much focus on personnel in defence and not enough on the system and the protection from the midfield. 

Edited by DMAA

Yesterday was rubbish bit it doesn't really matter lets be honest. As @yuddie posted earlier in the thread the players legs looked heavy and the manager has since said this is intentional.

I get the complaints from supporters that the game wasn't enjoyable and hard to watch but if this leads to a fit and firing team in 9 days at Killie then is for the greater good. Pre season isn't about results or entertainment.

I take comfort in the fact that we've played quality opposition in pre-season. Olympiacos, Newcastle and Hoffenheim are European level opponents imo and even Hamburg are steps above what we'll play domestically.

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Yesterday was rubbish bit it doesn't really matter lets be honest. As @yuddie posted earlier in the thread the players legs looked heavy and the manager has since said this is intentional.

I get the complaints from supporters that the game wasn't enjoyable and hard to watch but if this leads to a fit and firing team in 9 days at Killie then is for the greater good. Pre season isn't about results or entertainment.

It’s not the result or the performance of individual players but the absence of any discernible organisation or style of play that is of most concern. It’s one thing to perform poorly, it’s another thing altogether when it’s apparent they didn’t seem to understand what was required of them. If the manager has been clear with them, there’s been ample time for professional players to absorb what’s expected. We seem to be in the same place as last season but with different faces. 

Surely the tactics we employed in the second half of last season, but carried out by better players, would be enough to see us qualify for the Champion's League (which we managed last season) and win the league, or at least put a proper challenge in? 

I mean against Celtic, under Beale, our main problem was individual errors. Won't our better players make fewer errors? Haven't we brought in better players? I thought second half of last season our tactics were pretty good, it was error prone defenders, keepers who wouldn't leave their line and goal shy forward players that cost us. What am I missing here? 

20 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Surely the tactics we employed in the second half of last season, but carried out by better players, would be enough to see us qualify for the Champion's League (which we managed last season) and win the league, or at least put a proper challenge in? 

I mean against Celtic, under Beale, our main problem was individual errors. Won't our better players make fewer errors? Haven't we brought in better players? I thought second half of last season our tactics were pretty good, it was error prone defenders, keepers who wouldn't leave their line and goal shy forward players that cost us. What am I missing here? 

Agreed.

We're not seeing that, though.

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Agreed.

We're not seeing that, though.

Well, quite. But is anyone expecting a change in tactics or formation though? Isn't it just a case of waiting for the new guys to learn their jobs in our existing formation and tactics?