[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 52pen) - 3 Olympiacos

14 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Perhaps it is harsh. I've always said Beale doesn't excite me. He's quite limited in his set-up, IMO. 

Hopefully we see it in the next game. 

I just really expected to see something, anything in the last couple of games, but they've left me feeling deflated.

Beyond a few zoomers on Twitter I've not actually read anyone sane suggest Beale might be the problem. Until this thread. A couple of defeats in pre season friendlies, one to a sports-washing financially doped PR vehicle who'll spend more on a back-up full back than we'll spend on our entire squad and the other to a club we'd expect to be on a similar level to ourselves. The Olympiacos performance was really disappointing and our next match away to a Bundesliga side will be a challenge too. Another defeat wouldn't be a big surprise. But ultimately it's about beating Kilmarnock, then Livi, then Ross County and then Celtic. I guess we'll know more by then. 

Edited by JohnMc

9 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

But ultimately it's about beating Kilmarnock, then Livi, then Ross County and then Celtic. I guess we'll know more by then. 

Totally agree with the rest of your post but you've omitted the rather important fixtures against Genk or Servette, which will have rather significant financial implications. 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Beyond a few zoomers on Twitter I've not actually read anyone sane suggest Beale might be the problem. Until this thread. A couple of defeats in pre season friendlies, one to a sports-washing financially doped PR vehicle who'll spend more on a back-up full back than we'll spend on our entire squad and the other to a club we'd expect to be on a similar level to ourselves. The Olympiacos performance was really disappointing and our next match away to a Bundesliga side will be a challenge too. Another defeat wouldn't be a big surprise. But ultimately it's about beating Kilmarnock, then Livi, then Ross County and then Celtic. I guess we'll know more by then. 

I don't care about pre-season results. We could get pumped 5-0 every time for all I care. 

I just want to see something on the pitch; some hint of what what we're trying to do. You can show that without being the finished article. I used Tottenham as an example elsewhere: they were beaten by West Ham, yet their fans were raving about the style of play. It's nowhere near the finished product, yet they are excited about and can see where they are going. 

I was unhappy with Beale's appointment. The football generally doesn't excite me and I have concerns about his ability to implement a style of play in the same way a Rodgers or Ange can. However, that doesn't mean I want him sacked. He's done nothing to warrant that, other than not matching up to my ideals. His results have generally been good. 

Even then I was quite excited about the diamond approach last season - even if it was filled with poor players just filling a hole, i.e. Tamundo. I thought, 'let him get some players in who actually fit that system, and let's see what we can do'. He's had a training camp, a bounce game and three competitive matches. I expected to see something by now. That doesn't mean I expect our players to have a psychic connection, just some idea of what we're trying to do. 

Even against Newcastle, who I didn't expect us to dominate, I wanted to see how we would defend against them. Are we going to draw them on to us, press them, are we going to sit in a low/mid block and counter, will there be a counter-press? It was disjointed, lacking vision. We pressed at times, but it was poorly executed.   

I don't think it's insane to suggest the coaching team is to blame. 

Hopefully we see it in the next game. (I've said that in every pre-season game so far.)

26 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Maybe this is intentional. If we can see it so can McInnes at Killie.

Jesus. An opening game on a plastic pitch against a McInnes team suddenly has become pivotal. I'm sure we'll be fine but definitely looking for signs of some sort of shape tomorrow. Beale will know who will be fit/match fit by the time we play Killie so let's see that replicated against Hoffenheim. Please bin the multiple subs at half time. 

--------Butland--------

---Souttar--Balogun---

Tav-------------Ridvan

----Raskin--Cantwell--

---------Dowell--------

--Sima------Lammars--

--------Dessers--------

9 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Jesus. An opening game on a plastic pitch against a McInnes team suddenly has become pivotal. I'm sure we'll be fine but definitely looking for signs of some sort of shape tomorrow. Beale will know who will be fit/match fit by the time we play Killie so let's see that replicated against Hoffenheim. Please bin the multiple subs at half time. 

--------Butland--------

---Souttar--Balogun---

Tav-------------Ridvan

----Raskin--Cantwell--

---------Dowell--------

--Sima------Lammars--

--------Dessers--------

Any game for us is pivotal in the league. How many times have we won it by goal difference or a point.

8 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Any game for us is pivotal in the league. How many times have we won it by goal difference or a point.

Of course it is but this game has added significance due to the glut of new players, Beales first pre season, the proximity of the CL qualifiers and OF game et all.

I've said it before but if we can get through the CL qualifier and get to the OF game with 9 pts I'llbehappy. I genuinely don't care how we do it. 

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops