[FT] Servette 1 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 51)

I heard some naughty words from the terraces while watching Club Brugge and Shakhtar Donetsk (shut up - I watch them!).

Someone should inform Gianni Infantino.

For the good of the game. 

We don't need these teams in European football for the next two seasons ... or whenever the Club World Cup starts. 

6 minutes ago, yuddie said:

hopefully there's no trouble for our fans over in Holland because they've got that streak in them.

PSV are fairly tame compared to the likes of Feyenoord and Ajax. 

The Balkan groups tend to take things to extremes (I'll never forget the amount of riot police at the Partizan v Proleter match I attended...and that was with no away fans present!).

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

PSV are fairly tame compared to the likes of Feyenoord and Ajax. 

The Balkan groups tend to take things to extremes (I'll never forget the amount of riot police at the Partizan v Proleter match I attended...and that was with no away fans present!).

Is a reason for that the demographic at the stadium?

I'm 26 and whenever I'm at Ibrox I feel young, the average age at our place must be touching 40. In Europe and I'm guessing the Balkan groups the vast majority would be male and young as well.

It's probably led to the atmospheres dying in the UK to be honest, saw something that said the average crowd age has basically grown older with the teenage/young adult generation in the 90's, basically post Taylor Report. But then I'm not getting shivved waiting for a steak pie so I can't complain ha.

12 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Is a reason for that the demographic at the stadium?

I'd imagine so.  

Here in the UK, rougher elements of society struggle to afford to regularly attend top flight football, so find other ways to pass the time.  

Over there, it's basically like a gang/identity thing, often with lashings of ultra-nationalism included.  A mix between old school Italian ultras (displays, uniforms, generic singing) and 1980s English hooliganism (causing trouble everywhere they go).  It can be very intimidating!

Hopefully young Lowry gets a start at a packed Tynecastle tonight, will be good for his development.

Sportscene 19.30 if anyone wants to see how he does.

Edited by yuddie

On 17/08/2023 at 10:00, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Brugges have Ronny Diela as manager so will probably be ragdolled by any decent opposition. 

I'm torn on this thing, I am not sure we have the squad to play in something like this and challenge domestically. if its an additional 6 games for example on top of Europe (if we need to go through qualifiers again) it will stretch us.

But on the other hand the money and exposure will be good.

I see Brugge have been drawn against Osasuna in the Conference play-off. Not easy - I wouldn't like us to have an all or nothing tie against a La Liga club.

FYI:

"AEK Athens secured the final Champions League qualifying spot in sensational fashion, scoring twice in added time to turn the tie against Dinamo Zagreb on its head, winning 4-3 on aggregate."