[FT] Rangers 2 (Dessers 60' pen; Danilo 68') - 1 Morton

10 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We're too slow and lack intensity, which makes us easy to handle for mediocre opposition. 

I hate him but Postecoglu figured out how to deal with Scottish sides by going at them, fast and relentless.  

Skippy used 2 wide players to attack defences from wide areas in the final third. We don’t do that as we’ve not got the personnel to do so

5 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Didn't expect too much today as its the League Cup. Let's be honest, if we looked at the last 20 or so years, we could count good LC/SC cup performances at Ibrox on one finger. These games are always dire IMO and especially the LC.

A few positives...

Dessers looks like he is slowly getting there. He definitely has something (first half volley was nicely worked) so I'm remaining patient. Still a stick on to score against the Dhims IMO. 

Matondo looked lively again and if he starts to calm down a bit and use his head he could be useful. 

Sterling, Dowell, Balogun, Hagi, Roofe got minutes in the tank. 

The negatives...

As much as I am willing to be patient with Dessers, my patience is fading fast with Lammars. I'm still unsure what he is going to bring? Granted, he's regarded as a "technical" player but in old fashioned money he looks like a fan dancer. A luxury player who needs too many touches and forgets that football is a simple game.

Crossing...In the absence of Pinky and Perky today, I was hoping that we might abandon the aimless tactic of lobbing in cross after cross. Alas, it turned out that we other players that excell in the pointless tactic.

Maybe replace him with Hagi v PSV?

5 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Really? Who were the two up front in that starting line up? Lammers isn’t my idea of a centre forward as he’s never in that role often enough that I can see & Matondo is a wide player. Only Dessers is an out and out striker in my book & he got little service 

The reality is more and more managers have got Beale’s number. 

Lammers and Dessers were the two strikers today. 

Lammers was completely anonymous today. He hasn't usually been played as a striker for us - usually deeper, as a #10. 

Both got no service whatsoever. Dessers had to make that superb volley himself. 

Agreed about MB. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Lammers and Dessers were the two strikers today. 

Lammers was completely anonymous today. He hasn't usually been played as a striker for us - usually deeper, as a #10. 

Agreed. 

As I’ve said on this forum before Hagi is a better option than Lammers from what I’ve seen so far 

Just now, RANGERRAB said:

As I’ve said on this forum before Hagi is a better option than Lammers from what I’ve seen so far 

If it's in the #10 role, I agree with you. 

I'm still convinced Lammers is a striker, but we're not using him properly. I don't know what the answer is, though.  

11 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

If it's in the #10 role, I agree with you. 

I'm still convinced Lammers is a striker, but we're not using him properly. I don't know what the answer is, though.  

Problem is he isn’t a very good striker. Even in his first few games here he’s shown why he’s struggled in front of goal in his career.

At this early stage, I think we've spent a lot of money on someone who is a backup striker. Cantwell should be our number 10 and shouldn't be pushed back to accommodate for Lammers. 

6 minutes ago, compo said:

Tuesday night will give us a marker this for me is the first decent side we’ve come up against and it doesn’t give  me with confidence , hope I’m wrong of course.

I'm very fearful about the PSV tie(s) to be honest. Not because they might beat us as they are a very good team. I'm more fearful about the backlash a defeat would bring from the fans. Our primary aim this season is to win the league. Europe is a great financial bonus for us and now that we've secured EL group stage football and nearly 5 million pounds, I think we've done well. If we get negative knee jerk reactions to the PSV games, it could really derail our league challenge IMO.