[FT] Rangers 2 (Sima 45; Matondo 76) - 2 PSV Eindhoven

25 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think we're being a tad harsh on our midfield last night, considering the job they were asked to do against (frankly) a better team. The three of them had a monumental task. Ryan Jack is coming in for some criticism here but I thought him and Raskin did a huge job protecting our defence, particularly our roaming fullbacks. Without their sheer work rate, particularly out of possession, we could easily have been overwhelmed in that first half and it's no surprise they all tired later on.

I thought so too

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think we're being a tad harsh on our midfield last night, considering the job they were asked to do against (frankly) a better team. The three of them had a monumental task. Ryan Jack is coming in for some criticism here but I thought him and Raskin did a huge job protecting our defence, particularly our roaming fullbacks. Without their sheer work rate, particularly out of possession, we could easily have been overwhelmed in that first half and it's no surprise they all tired later on.

I thought they were hero's to a man. 

31 minutes ago, onevision said:

I get that Gonzo, as i say i'll watch back and see if i change my mind.

I've got a pal, who I sometimes sit next to at matches and it's amazing the amount of times he states something about a player and I think to myself 'that's the exact opposite of what I was thinking!'.  

We're right under their skin by the way, De Jong losing it at half time and Veerman slaughtering us post match.

I'm fairly zen about our chances because I think we can play and defend better.

A lot of our players are inexperienced in Europe (Butland,Cantwell,Cifuentes, Raskin etc) so the manager is right when saying that this will be a building block for the future a la our first qualifying campaign under Gerrard.

Encouraging I think. I can see what's happening, there's still some morons slating the team but some people love the misery.

Edited by yuddie

I think the result is colouring the performance. 

I lost count of the number of posts on here complaining about the performance of the team and several individuals. 

I think we defended well, though. We restricted them to longer, low quality shots (their xG was 1.24 compared to our 1.08 for the whole game despite having double the number of shots). 

I still think our pressing needs to improve: it's too disjointed and easy for teams to play through us. I saw Dessers moaning a few times because he wasn't being backed up in the press. 

I don't mind the fact we had 162 passes to their 519, but we need to be better in offensive transitions. Our passing accuracy was only 62%; that's 40% of passes going nowhere. When we countered successfully it was actually quite effective, as we saw towards the end.