[FT] PSV 5 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 64)

Nothing like a disappointing result to see the emotions of Rangers fans out in full bloom.

Win at the weekend and Beale will be the saviour again

The reality is that, like it or not, we are still a million miles behind the Tims financially - 55 really was an anomaly and we still have a long, long way to go before the "journey" is complete.

55 was wonderful, but it completely changed the expectations domestically given the finances the Tims have, and the fantatic run to the Europa final has changed expectations from a European perspective.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

Do people actually take what footballers say about their manager/employer seriously?  

As Cammy said, they said it was sitting talking to the manager about what his vision was, that convinced them to sign.  Are you saying that what we should do is take whatever they have said and just assume the opposite ?  Or should we take them at their word ?

Seems like it just depends on what your (generally, not you specifically) agenda is will shape what you believe from a player.

1 minute ago, craig said:

The suggestion he hasnt hit a free kick over the wall in 3 years is a statement of factual inaccuracy.

Me suggesting he has been one of our best players (note that I said "one of, if not the" - which is different from categorically stating he was our best player) is obviously a statement of opinion.  You can disagree, as is your prerogative - but either way, it is still just your opinion vs my opinion.

Your original statement was factually incorrect.

Fair enough,  that was incorrect. However, my point was that he has been very poor. Still Barisic has not been one of our best players for years. Yes, that is my opinion, but I would expect to be in the vast majority on that one.  

2 minutes ago, craig said:

As Cammy said, they said it was sitting talking to the manager about what his vision was, that convinced them to sign.  Are you saying that what we should do is take whatever they have said and just assume the opposite ?  Or should we take them at their word ?

They'll say what they think they're supposed to say.  

9 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Your perogative- but jeez....

It's OK; you don't need to take it personally.

It's just that my overriding memory is: 'how the f*ck did we win that?', after waking up from my nap. :D

We can agree to disagree.

14 minutes ago, craig said:

If that is the case, why are some of the players waxing lyrical about his game knowledge ?  Why is it that Cantwell is saying it is an honour to play for us if he isnt interested in playing for Beale ?

Only my opinion, but you seem to be hurting bad from last night and its affecting the way you are posting.  But giving you the benefit of the doubt, what is it that makes you assert that the players arent playing for Beale ?  Because you do realise there is a difference between playing poorly and not trying (downing tools), right ?

I didn't say they weren't playing for Beale. I was referring to not being able to carry out his instructions or directions. i.e. the tools/information that Beale is giving his players. I also don't believe that the players downed tools with Gio. 

Craig,  you can leave it honestly. You rate Barisic, I don't. Let's leave it at that. 

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Nothing like a disappointing result to see the emotions of Rangers fans out in full bloom.

Win at the weekend and Beale will be the saviour again

The reality is that, like it or not, we are still a million miles behind the Tims financially - 55 really was an anomaly and we still have a long, long way to go before the "journey" is complete.

55 was wonderful, but it completely changed the expectations domestically given the finances the Tims have, and the fantatic run to the Europa final has changed expectations from a European perspective.

I think what you say is true enough but it's actually a little incomplete. What we're looking for isn't immediate perfection and a never-ending run of victories in domestic and European competition, that would be unrealistic. It's more a clear sense of direction and progress that offers some prospect of being a better and more successful club.

I wasn't at all surprised we lost to PSV, in fact I predicted as much in the GPL. What has contributed to a growing sense of concern is the realisation that I can see little or no actual evidence of the improvement we all acknowledged was essential at the end of last season. Maybe if our manager occasionally explained where he was taking the club and what we should expect over the period, we might be better able to judge whether or not he was being realistic or not.

We absolutely agree about the huge gulf in financial strength between us and Celtic but that should be an issue separate from our own progressive development. Maybe the world will look brighter if we beat Celtic on Sunday but I think serious observers know we need to do so on the basis of a more coherent and sustainable improvement on the park.