[FT] St Johnstone 0 - 2 Rangers (Danilo 16; Matondo 79)

6 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Looked into it, it would track for 16.7 goals conceded (I think).

Obviously early but that's pleasing signs defensively for me.

Yes, but our opponents have not actually done anything against us - that could be down to us or them, to be fair.

But, we've played the easy teams, outwith them

My issue is our xG: We just don't create enough quality chances consistently.

11 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, but our opponents have not actually done anything against us - that could be down to us or them, to be fair.

But, we've played the easy teams, outwith them

My issue is our xG: We just don't create enough quality chances consistently.

How do you quantify easy teams? Killie have beaten us and them this season. St Johnstone held them to a 0-0 draw at Parkhead. Are they "easy teams"? Livi are notoriously difficult to play against and we scored 4 goals against them.

We matched Celtic and lost due to a dubious refereeing decision - how does xG equate for that? 

I'm not saying we are playing brilliantly, we aren't  but I don't think it's as bad as some are making out.

Said earlier in the thread people have made their minds up regarding MB and no matter what happens now / next, they won't change their minds.

10 minutes ago, CammyF said:

How do you quantify easy teams? Killie have beaten us and them this season. St Johnstone held them to a 0-0 draw at Parkhead. Are they "easy teams"? Livi are notoriously difficult to play against and we scored 4 goals against them.

We matched Celtic and lost due to a dubious refereeing decision - how does xG equate for that? 

I'm not saying we are playing brilliantly, we aren't  but I don't think it's as bad as some are making out.

Said earlier in the thread people have made their minds up regarding MB and no matter what happens now / next, they won't change their minds.

Because they're lower table teams. They will all finish bottom half. Easy teams.

That's why I said above that our xG differential is too tight. If we're just expected to score one more goal than our opponents on average, there will be a lot of instances where we drop points.

You do get extremes. I don't think I'm being extreme by suggesting our xG differential is not good enough. 

Agreed.

You're analysing only part of the equation. Last season we trailed Celtic by 7 points at the finishing line. In our head to head results against Celtic we dropped 8 points. We were knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Celtic. We lost the League Cup final to Celtic. We were destroyed in each of 6 Champions League group matches. We played turgid, low-energy football throughout the season.

We aren't failing to win trophies because we aren't winning 3-0 instead of 2-0. Many of the games where we concede, we win.

We're coming up empty because we can't compete against Celtic and we can't compete against the rest of the SPFL as well as Celtic. I'm sure this expresses itself in statistical terms but, really, the bottom line is the same as it has always been. The reason Walter Smith won so many league titles lay in his ability to compete head-to-head against Celtic and Beale won't win titles until he can do the same.

Edited by Bill

5 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Because they're lower table teams. They will all finish bottom half. Easy teams.

That's why I said above that our xG differential is too tight. If we're just expected to score one more goal than our opponents on average, there will be a lot of instances where we drop points.

You do get extremes. I don't think I'm being extreme by suggesting our xG differential is not good enough. 

Agreed.

But football isn't as simplistic that you can say they are easy as they may finish in bottom half of the table. "Easy" teams will historically cause issues to "top" teams as I pointed out in my last post. These are undeniable. 

Off course we aren't playing well or as well as we would like, I also said that in my previous post. 

What is also undeniable is a section of fans have MB dead and buried and no matter what we do, this will not change.

That is their right, I have no issue with that, but it seems anyone not of that opinion is painted as deluded.

All I'm saying is whilst we are not playing well, I don't think it's as bleak as its being described (domestically). 

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

What is also undeniable is a section of fans have MB dead and buried and no matter what we do, this will not change.

That is their right, I have no issue with that, but it seems anyone not of that opinion is painted as deluded.

Has anyone actually called you deluded or is this just self-pity kicking in? 😂

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

Has anyone actually called you deluded or is this just self-pity kicking in? 😂

I was one who said it may be better replacing him. However, I'm willing to accept other opinions and can see both sides of the argument. And I never said anyone called me deluded, although sometimes, when it comes to Rangers and music,  clearly I can be at times (sure we can all admit to that)  

Edited by CammyF

6 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I was one who said it may be better replacing him. However, I'm willing to accept other opinions and can see both sides of the argument. And I never said anyone called me deluded, although sometimes, when it comes to Rangers and music,  clearly I can be at times (sure we can all admit to that)  

Too thin