[Official] Rangers part company with Beale

10 minutes ago, lenny3k said:

Lampard is a failure, there is no way to dress up any of his managerial spells in any other way.

I must admit that I hadn't thought about it like that.

He could be the man for the job.

Edited by ranger_syntax

49 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Reading a couple of posters saying that Dutch Managers don't tend to travel well outside of Holland.  Off the top of my head, i can think of the following who all had more than reasonable levels of success out with their home nation.

- Rijkaard

- Koeman

- Cruyff

- Advocaat

- Van Gaal

- Hiddink

Not suggesting that this is the level we are shopping for, and for every Cruyff there's a Martin Jol, but I'm not sure I'm buying this argument.

@Sutton_blows_goats @Rousseau

Rijkaard - yeah fair. Seemed to disappear after success at Barca but IIRC he built the foundation for that Pep side.

Koeman - I think you'd need to be more specific about the success he has had. Far more failures IMO

Cruyff - Yeah this one is fair. But I think he was a one off and a great fit for Barca (I see a theme emerging)

Advocaat - short term success at us after outspending the opposition considerably. Wheels fell off very quickly. Did well in Russia but I have my doubts about the legitimacy of the domestic competition :ninja:

van Gaal - Did ok initially and then was sacked everywhere seems to be the theme first at Bayern, success here didn't last long at all. Did ok at Barca then it fell apart. Didn't do well at Man U IMO. Seemed to fall out with everyone and leave after a year or so.

Hiddink - Had a lot of jobs - where would you consider him a success outside PSV?

I think there are a few exceptions to the rule but I think the rule in general is sound.

Mark van Bommel is doing well at Antwerp, however they have Marc Overmars as head of football operations and have assimilated many Dutch players and staff. I think that can work in Belgium but wouldn't want to see us take that approach.

Peter Bosz a good example abject failure everywhere he has been outside of Holland, goes back to PSV and looks like he might have a good go at the title. ten Haag recently at Man U - done well domestically and in Europe at Ajax.

I cant think of a top club coveting a Dutch manager in recent times. Arne Slot at Feyenoord is the next 'big thing' so will be interesting to see how he gets on when he takes the next step. Was linked with Spurs. Rumor is he knocked them back(!) but i think that Ange was a done deal there for a while and was seeing time out up here.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

56 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Nor has it been since Advocaat… which underlines your point in fairness.  A good manager can get the best from the available resources.   Arguably another Dutchman in Gio did that with the UEL final run. 

Yes you have a point there. However he soon ran out of steam.

Looking back, I think Alex McLeish emerges from the last 25 years with considerable credit. He might have inherited some of Advocaat's team and he was guilty of signing Olivier Barnard but he did achieve enviable success on a very modest budget.

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yes you have a point there. However he soon ran out of steam.

Looking back, I think Alex McLeish emerges from the last 25 years with considerable credit. He might have inherited some of Advocaat's team and he was guilty of signing Olivier Barnard but he did achieve enviable success on a very modest budget.

If we look at recent history, our club seems to achieve the most success with a very specific type of manager / head coach. A man manager like Smith and McLeish, while not tactical masterminds worked miracles on limited budgets at times (Walter second time around obviously).

While football has changed since they had their success with us. I can see the value of getting a manager that can motivate a talented squad to play at 100% every week as opposed to one that can go into great granular tactical detail on how to beat the 10 man defence of St Johnstone and Aberdeen while cruising along at 50%.

Who that manager is I don't know, but its worth taking into consideration.

The board did the right thing in letting Beale go, however I wish they had made the decision earlier, in fact I agree with those that say he should never have been appointed in the first place. 

I like the interim appointments, and I think they will be just that (they'll manage a handful of games at most). But I think they do have the ability to navigate a few games and instil some much needed confidence in the side. I don't see them changing things much in terms of selection, after all we are limited due to injuries, maybe just having players play in their best positions would be good. I don't expect them to perform miracles, just keeping the ship from sinking. 

The board really need to appoint a DoF before they do anything else, they need help with the recruitment of a new manager. They cannot afford to get it wrong again. 

We now need an experienced manager, someone that is no-nonsense, will command player respect, employs an attacking style of play, and has had successes with that - whether that be titles or has punched well above their weight in a certain league. I don't think there are any obvious candidates and most of the names I've seen bandied around do not fill me with confidence. 

The best out of work managers are probably Hansi Flick and Zinedine Zidane, but would either consider us/could we afford to lure them here? Don't think so. I don't think Potter or Jansen would even come here right now. 

Realistically, I think it would be more likely to be someone like Knutsen, Parker, McInnes or Muscat. However, I hope the board don't rush into anything, as I said, let's get a DoF on board and then take our time. I'm fine with Steve David and Alex Rae being there and doing what they can in the meantime.  

1 hour ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

The Marcelo Gallardo statue outsie the River Plate stadium. 😂

He might have the balls for the job 🤭

MG.jpg

Well intentioned but a genuinely terrible piece of art.

Reminds of that gag played on Beckham while at LA Galaxy...except this is no gag. 

32 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

If we look at recent history, our club seems to achieve the most success with a very specific type of manager / head coach. A man manager like Smith and McLeish, while not tactical masterminds worked miracles on limited budgets at times (Walter second time around obviously).

While football has changed since they had their success with us. I can see the value of getting a manager that can motivate a talented squad to play at 100% every week as opposed to one that can go into great granular tactical detail on how to beat the 10 man defence of St Johnstone and Aberdeen while cruising along at 50%.

Who that manager is I don't know, but its worth taking into consideration.

In the end, leadership is almost everything

57 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

A good manager knows to delegate the latter to a member of his coaching staff.