[2023] Who should be the next Rangers manager?

Next Rangers manager?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your preferred choice as the next manager of Rangers?

• Derek McInnes
    • Kevin Muscat
    • Frank Lampard
    • Neil Warnock
    • Kjetil Knutsen
    • Scott Parker
    • Pascal Jansen
    • Steven Davis
    • Marcelo Gallardo
    • Graham Potter
    • Philippe Clement
    • Ralph Hasenhuttl

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

We need to get away from this weird fascination of giving or wanting to give important roles at the club to ex-players. 

Neil McCann - great player, great pundit but failed at almost every role he's had in football after a fantastic playing career. 

Craig Moore - another who had a great Rangers career biut done nothing of note after retiring as a player.

Neither are remotely close to DoF material. Only "ex-player" who I'd approach is Davie Weir but we are very unlikely to tempt him away from his role at Brighton. 

Different times, but most ex-players anywhere had next to no managerial experience before joining a club, be that Souness, or Gerrard, Solksjaer et al. Walter was a good assistant before become a legendary Rangers man. So, I would say that it would be false to set certain preconditions for some people, when we have seen that similar people can do a job. As with players coming to Rangers, only what you do AT the club will mean everything, not what you did before or what you achieve later.

While I do not see Davis or McCann as another Souness or Walter, all a Rangers manager has to be capable of (in the here and now) is to win games in the Scottish league and cup, as well as bringing silverware to Ibrox. These people know the club and the Scottish game, they know the current Rangers players and what the club needs. Whether they can achieve that is anyone's guess. We tried various people, and most of them needed time to get used to what the Scottish "game" is like. At the end of the day, most managers, players, and tactics (if any) of the past decade were sussed out by the opposition by Christmas and countered rather effectively. I doubt we can risk* another season that effectively starts by Christmas, while the new manager gets used to Scotland. Then again, there is not much one/we can do about it.

*well, we can. All we "risk" is that the Scum snaps up another free title ...

At least the search for a manager has filled the usual void of a pointless international break.

Why can't the SFA offer permanent central contracts to players like cricket does and stop taking players away from clubs. International football can compete for players like everyone else and stop leaching off the clubs?

Edited by Bill

FA’s effectively borrow club players for their international teams. And the clubs & players have little choice but to comply.

Clubs are the players employers.

Where else would you find a situation where an employer would be told they had to hand over their employees to a third party for something and have little or no say in the matter?

Same goes for other sports too I suppose

18 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

FA’s effectively borrow club players for their international teams. And the clubs & players have little choice but to comply.

Clubs are the players employers.

Where else would you find a situation where an employer would be told they had to hand over their employees to a third party for something and have little or no say in the matter?

Same goes for other sports too I suppose

Jury Duty 🤣