[2023] Who should be the next Rangers manager?

Next Rangers manager?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your preferred choice as the next manager of Rangers?

• Derek McInnes
    • Kevin Muscat
    • Frank Lampard
    • Neil Warnock
    • Kjetil Knutsen
    • Scott Parker
    • Pascal Jansen
    • Steven Davis
    • Marcelo Gallardo
    • Graham Potter
    • Philippe Clement
    • Ralph Hasenhuttl

2 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Wilder and Lampard? No thanks. Does not inspire me in the slightest. 

Muscat on the other hand comes across as no nonsense kind of guy who won't take any shit from under performing players as well as the media. He's straight talking and has worked under Postecoglou therefore that for me is a win, win. IMO he has been unfairly labelled as lucky as he inherited Postocoglous teams but during his time in Japan he lost 5/6 starters yet still won the title with team with a small budget whilst playing pressing and attacking football. Muscat has a lot ticks in the of pros column.

1. Has won league titles in 2 countries.

2. He has worked with Postegoglou.

3. Plays high pressing and attacking  football.

4. Speaks English.

5. Knows about the rigours of the British game.

6. Is straight talking and passionate. 

No one else being mentioned has won anything apart from Galardo but even then he won 1 title in 7 years at River Plate. And does he speak English? 

I get the impression that many fans are resistant to Muscat as they see it as us copying them with big Ange. If it brings succces, who cares? 

My issue is whether he can implement that style on his own, from scratch.

His success has come following directly from Ange. 

• Rousseau changed the title to Who should be the next Rangers manager?
  • Rousseau changed the title to [2023] Who should be the next Rangers manager?

I’m not convinced we will appoint anyone if we win the next two games. Out of the candidates we have a chance with Clement seems to have the best CV. A lot of the others have periods of glaringly terrible results which are unacceptable, I can’t look past Muscats period in Belgium where he achieved 2 wins in 15 games. Voting for Gallardo seems to be alike activating cheat mode, but fro what I can gather he will not be within our scope or reach.

Edited by PoohBear

15 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Non-starters:

Davis - No experience and therefore too big a risk.

Gallardo and Potter - won't come. We'd as well adding Jose to the list as rumour has it that he's about to be sacked by Roma.

Lampard & Parker - their managerial resumes do not fill me with confidence.

McInnes - no ambition and turned us down before. Would not be accepted by the support.

Warnock - he's 75 and has retired. 

That leaves 5:

Knutsen was my choice last time. However he's never managed outside of Norway so is a risk and wants a % of player sales. We can't have a manager who is willing to weaken the team for financial gain.

Hasenhuttl - has never had a 50% win percentage at any club. Seems to work best with a DoF. Got Southampton relegated. A bit of a risk.

Jansen - there were concerns raised by SBG and others about him in the "Rangers part company with Beale" thread. A guy I don't know too much about but appears to be a risk.

Muscat - seems to be a bit like following the Ange model and hoping it works for us. It's difficult to assess a manager of someone who has managed in Oz and Japan. Concerns have been raised by his poor record in Belgium. Seems a risk.

Clement - did well in Belgium, winning the league 3 years in a row and did OK in France, although his team did fall away a bit last season. He'd be my choice  from this list.

But I wanted Le Guen so what do I know 🤷‍♂️

There are no candidates who are not risks. It’s the nature of the beast.