[2023] Who should be the next Rangers manager?

Next Rangers manager?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your preferred choice as the next manager of Rangers?

• Derek McInnes
    • Kevin Muscat
    • Frank Lampard
    • Neil Warnock
    • Kjetil Knutsen
    • Scott Parker
    • Pascal Jansen
    • Steven Davis
    • Marcelo Gallardo
    • Graham Potter
    • Philippe Clement
    • Ralph Hasenhuttl

30 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I think the only person that made Warburtons job more difficult was Warburton. He came in and refreshed the playing squad with some great young players. Tav and Waghorn being the standouts when first appointed. 

His pursuit and signing of O'Halloran was baffling the following winter. The signings of Crooks and Windass were exciting to the support on pre-contracts.

Then in his second season and our return to the top flight he had completely 180 his signing policy and started signing guys like Senderos, Kranjkar and Barton. His lengthy pursuit and big money signing Joe Garner turning out to be a client of a player agency his daughter had involvement with made it seem rather murky.

I remember his quote when he seen the supporter display at the first home game back against Hamilton 'Going for 55' - he said his heart sank the moment he saw it. I think that sums up the mentality of the man. We were never going to win the league that year, everyone knew it but it was a signal of intent to build something that we could challenge with in subsequent years. A challenge Warburton himself didn't think he was up to.

Agree on the Warburton parts - loser mentality. Goldson Tav and Barasic have still got the same 'loser mentality' too

From the list I voted Clement just ahead of Hasenhuttl. The latter was greatly feted on radio in the early part of his So’ton career. Radio and TV darlings usually fail sooner rather than later.

The title of the vote is next manager, not next interim manager otherwise I would have voted Warnock for a season of damage limitation pending a long term appointment. Who that appointee should be, I do not know.

Get a much vaunted “name” and give him the money to buy top players on the United/Chelsea model. Success would be inevitable. Or perhaps not.

1 minute ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Chris Jack reporting Muscat has an interview today via Zoom.

If true, Rangers have either been unprepared for the event or have been turned down by better options.

4 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

If true, Rangers have either been unprepared for the event or have been turned down by better options.

We should understand that top managers know their worth and will assess the club by the people it puts forward to interview them. So God help us if James Bisgrove is conducting initial contacts.

From the list I quite like the idea of Knutsen, he seems a very modern day type of coach. I also like Hasselhuttl but I'm not sure he has what it takes to get the better of Rodgers. Rodgers has a far better record from the Premier in England, although I havent searched their head to heads. 

Lampard - Id rather have a Lamppost. 

But the set up that I would realistically hand pick is:

Director of Football - this role seems to vary club to club so it could be tailor made (Literally) for Richard Gough. Alternatively, Trevor Steven may be a good left field option for this. I believe he had previously been running a Sports Management Business in the Middle East which would give him a bit of corporate experience and skills needed, added to the fact he had one of the best footballing brains on the pitch that has pulled on the Blue Jersey.

On the field:
Manager - Michael Laudrup
Coaches / Assistants - Brian Laudrup and Neil McCann (plus obviously a few others)
If the players didn't learn anything from those three then they are in the wrong profession.