Gersnet Rangers All-time XI | Day 1: Goalkeeper

There are a number of Keepers I witnessed playing for Rangers that have so far received no mention, from memory:

Norrie Martin - Billy Ritchie's understudy for a dozen years, made 115 appearances but unfortunate with injuries.

Eric Sorensen - One of Hal Stewart's Scandinavian imports. We bought him from Morton in 1967 for £25,000 and he returned to Greenock in 1970.

Gerry Neef - A fine German keeper signed by Davie White. He played in our League Cup final success(big DJ's headed goal) in 1970. 48 appearances but most folks remember he had been both a Binman and a Polis in his native Hausham.

Jim Stewart - Came to us from Middlesborough and made 55 appearances over four seasons. Returned to Rangers a couple of times in coaching roles.

Nicky Walker - Arrived from Motherwell and appeared in 75 games. He won a couple of League Cups. Currently, a Director of the family shortbread firm, 'Walkers'.

Bonni Ginzburg - Israeli international signed by Souness, made four appearances.

Ally Maxwell - Another stopper from the 'Well, signed as Goram's back up for four seasons. He made 53 appearances, winning the League Cup against Hibs in 1993.

I will allow other Gernetters to bring us up to date on those that wore the gloves? 

Looking through my above list, I note we signed three(including Peter McCloy) of our mainstay Keepers over a thirty year period from the mighty claret and amber.

I am not attempting to veer off topic but I have a story from my time in the early 70s at Fir Park Boys Club. I arrived in 1971 to play in the under 15s and Peter McCloy's replacement was a 19 year old Keith MacRae. When we trained on Tuesday and Thursday evenings under the guidance of Joe Wark and Northern Irish international, Sammy Campbell. Regularly, an all in black clad MacRae would join in as an outfield player. He was a fine sweeper and had already made a couple of appearances for Motherwell as a right back. 

Keith's nickname was, 'Yashin' after the similarly all black Russian goalie. The 'Well received a bid of £100,000 from Manchester City for the then 21 year old and off he went to Maine Road to succeed Joe Corrigan. It was considered an unbelievable sum for a keeper back in those days. Considering Motherwell had experienced a decade of McCloy and MacRae, it was also unbelievable that their replacement was ra Sellik's clusterfcuk, John Fallon.

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

There are a number of Keepers I witnessed playing for Rangers that have so far received no mention, from memory:

Norrie Martin - Billy Ritchie's understudy for a dozen years, made 115 appearances but unfortunate with injuries.

Eric Sorensen - One of Hal Stewart's Scandinavian imports. We bought him from Morton in 1967 for £25,000 and he returned to Greenock in 1970.

Gerry Neef - A fine German keeper signed by Davie White. He played in our League Cup final success(big DJ's headed goal) in 1970. 48 appearances but most folks remember he had been both a Binman and a Polis in his native Hausham.

Jim Stewart - Came to us from Middlesborough and made 55 appearances over four seasons. Returned to Rangers a couple of times in coaching roles.

Nicky Walker - Arrived from Motherwell and appeared in 75 games. He won a couple of League Cups. Currently, a Director of the family shortbread firm, 'Walkers'.

Bonni Ginzburg - Israeli international signed by Souness, made four appearances.

Ally Maxwell - Another stopper from the 'Well, signed as Goram's back up for four seasons. He made 53 appearances, winning the League Cup against Hibs in 1993.

I will allow other Gernetters to bring us up to date on those that wore the gloves? 

Useless fact, I briefly worked with Eric Sorensons daughter-in-law. 

1 hour ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I'll see your Bonni Ginzburg and raise you Charbonier, Niemi and Dibble. 🙂

Niemi was fine. Dibble didn’t let us down. Charbonnier? Occasionally brilliant but you’d never bet the house on him. 

Since we’re into the duffers, how about Christiansen (expensive) and Myhre (borrowed)?