[FT] Rangers 2 (Sima 45, 70) - 0 St Mirren

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Sima is very hot and cold.  Anything over £3m and I don't think he's worth it (and Brighton will want far more than that).

He's quite similar to Sakala.

I’d bite your hand off for sima for 3 million. I think his pace and power adds so much. He does blow hot and cold but we are not in a position to go out and get finished articles these days.

Returning from yesterday's game in the car, a couple of mates and myself had a discussion on the similarities between Sima and Sakala.

Both players take you up the park, both players commit opposition defenders and, both have an end product. I like both players for reasons outlined and I know Sima has notched a dozen goals in a misfiring team but, I prefer Sakala because he always got the shot off. I was not always enamoured with the destination of said shot.

Trial and error, Part 34: Sima.

Our problem for the best part of a decade has been trying to play through a packed defence with a single striker, hoping that the attacking midfield would join in with 10-15 goals per player. Plus the odd from the wing-back. Year after year, season after season, we've seen that the simple adaptation of the rest of the teams in Scotland (bar one) to that system has effectively nullified the one striker and stopped the wing-attackers too. Even Ribery - Madzukic - Robben would have struggled with that 7 to 8 men defence trash. We clock up 15 to 30 shot in nearly every game, but score on average 1 or 2, sometimes but rarely 4. Usually when the opposition tires late on and/or gives away penalties.

It is clear as day that this current system only works if you a) have the players who succeed in it and b) play an opposition that is not out to stop you from playing any football or simply swamps your three attackers.

Beale tried to load the attacking third this season, but instead of setting up a 4-5 player attack block, we dabbled on, tested this or that combination and failed. It simply cannot be that we toil on for half a decade or more against the same style of players and tactics and don't change it.

So ... no Sima as the lone striker, but keep him on the wing, McCausland/Wright on the other, and put Danilo and Dessers/Roofe through the middle. Cantwell or Lawrence behind them.

46 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Returning from yesterday's game in the car, a couple of mates and myself had a discussion on the similarities between Sima and Sakala.

Both players take you up the park, both players commit opposition defenders and, both have an end product. I like both players for reasons outlined and I know Sima has notched a dozen goals in a misfiring team but, I prefer Sakala because he always got the shot off. I was not always enamoured with the destination of said shot.

I think Sakala was better in the air than Sima. Otherwise the comparison is a very fair one.

33 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I’d take sima over Sakala every day of the week. I still have nightmares over his cup game sitters v them last season. Abysmal.

He was not alone that day ... and we've seen others doing the same. Still remember that blind backpass of our captain in the OF game that lead to a goal and killed any of our slim hopes that season.

I'd take Sakala over Lammers every day of the week. (And I hope this means that Lammers will score a hatful in December now ... )

1 minute ago, der Berliner said:

I'd take Sakala over Lammers every day of the week. (And I hope this means that Lammers will score a hatful in December now ... )

I'd take any of Oleg Salenko, Stephane G'uivarch, Peter van Vossen, Erik Bo Anderson before Lammers. 

Sakala wasnt bad but wasnt great either.

He was a good example of the 'player trading model' we are trying to get going. A player picked up for free on a modest wage, got a couple of decent seasons out of him and sold him for a good fee.