Yilmaz goes off injured playing for Turkey

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

How many assists do you think a full-back should be providing? Are you thinking he should be putting up Tavernier numbers? 

Take Trent Alexander-Arnold, who I think we can agree is the most creative FB in the PL; He has 7 assists from 34 games, which is around 0.20 per 90. If we extrapolate that to the 13 games Ridvan has played, you would be looking at around 2–3 assists. 

I would also argue Ridvan assist output is better because his xA is around 3.5. If our forwards were any good he'd be sitting at 3–4 assists. He is creating the chances. 

TAA also has two goals. 

Moreover, Ridvan is only 22. Do you not think players can improve? 

I think it's worth keeping him for another year or two, and if the injury record continues, then sell. 

Punting him – and any player – because he's not exactly what you want at this exact moment is madness. 

The sensible thing to do is replace the aging Barisic and keep Ridvan.

The sensible thing to do is replace both 😀 however, can't see us buying 2 LBs in the transfer window as there are other areas of the squad that require strengthening.

Quite a conundrum especially if Ridvans injury is serious and he's out for a number of months, he'll not have teams queuing up to buy him. 

Edited by CammyF

Has anyone even heard anything about the extent of Ridvan's injury?

Seems to be a lot of posters jumping to rather pessimistic conclusions.  

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

How many assists do you think a full-back should be providing? Are you thinking he should be putting up Tavernier numbers? 

Take Trent Alexander-Arnold, who I think we can agree is the most creative FB in the PL; He has 7 assists from 34 games, which is around 0.20 per 90. If we extrapolate that to the 13 games Ridvan has played, you would be looking at around 2–3 assists. 

I would also argue Ridvan assist output is better because his xA is around 3.5. If our forwards were any good he'd be sitting at 3–4 assists. He is creating the chances. 

TAA also has two goals. 

Moreover, Ridvan is only 22. Do you not think players can improve? 

I think it's worth keeping him for another year or two, and if the injury record continues, then sell. 

Punting him – and any player – because he's not exactly what you want at this exact moment is madness. 

The sensible thing to do is replace the aging Barisic and keep Ridvan.

He should certainly be on more than 1 goal and 1 assist given the way we play and the level of opponents we face. Perhaps I want too much from him, like maybe just once every 10 corners he gets it past the first man, or that he can actually tackle  in a defensive position or prevent a cross from coming in. You know, old school full back stuff before all this xA nonsense was being used to try to prove that a player everyone can see is sub-standard is actually almost standard in one of 100 categories. The facts are that despite improving hugely, he still is miles short of being good enough IMO. I would try to make a profit on him in the summer, he is clearly desirable elsewhere, but I don’t see him moving anywhere so he will continue to get my full support during matches, and my honest assessment on Gersnet.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

He should certainly be on more than 1 goal and 1 assist given the way we play and the level of opponents we face. Perhaps I want too much from him, like maybe just once every 10 corners he gets it past the first man, or that he can actually tackle  in a defensive position or prevent a cross from coming in. You know, old school full back stuff before all this xA nonsense was being used to try to prove that a player everyone can see is sub-standard is actually almost standard in one of 100 categories. The facts are that despite improving hugely, he still is miles short of being good enough IMO. I would try to make a profit on him in the summer, he is clearly desirable elsewhere, but I don’t see him moving anywhere so he will continue to get my full support during matches, and my honest assessment on Gersnet.

You specifically brought up assists. I just took it to its logical conclusion. 

There was actually a fuller discusson above about his all-round stats and qualities. 

The sarcasm is unnecessary. 

I think it's absolute madness to punt a player because he's not the finished article at 22-years-old. Not only does he still have plenty of scope to improve, it is also terrible management. 

We should be punting the aging players and keeping those with youth and potential. 

(Saying that, if someone came in to give us a profit on him, I'd take it. I'd take that with every player.) 

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I was just going to ask that. 

I've just seen an article suggesting 7–10 days. 

That's nothing at all or a Rossitter situation!

On balance I think I'll trust Philippe Clement to reach to best conclusion on Ridvan Yilmaz.

Call it a wild hunch if you must but I think he might even be more qualified to do so than Gersnet. 😉

12 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Hopefully he makes the 7th April

BB can come in for Hibs

12 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Saying 7-10 days on RR.

Given our track record with injuries since I have been old enough to support Rangers under Souness, but even more so the past few years I fail to see how anyone can be anything but pessimistic conclusions with injuries.  

16 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Don't think we'll get an update until Clement's pre-match press conference.

16 hours ago, Rousseau said:

You specifically brought up assists. I just took it to its logical conclusion. 

There was actually a fuller discusson above about his all-round stats and qualities. 

The sarcasm is unnecessary. 

I think it's absolute madness to punt a player because he's not the finished article at 22-years-old. Not only does he still have plenty of scope to improve, it is also terrible management. 

We should be punting the aging players and keeping those with youth and potential. 

(Saying that, if someone came in to give us a profit on him, I'd take it. I'd take that with every player.) 

I think the major frustration for me is the fee we paid for him (that's not his fault), I was expecting a player who'd burst into the team and outperform Barisic.

Facts / stats show that's not been the case and he has spent more time injured (or settling in?) than he has playing.

His performances have improved recently, then dipped against Benfica which was probably a mix of the quality of opposition and the fact Ridvan looked mentally and physically gone. 

In all honesty, we'll struggle to make much of a profit on him and I'd sell for "break-even".

However as said previously, with Barisic going at the end of the season, it's unlikely we'll sign 2 left backs as money / replacements required elsewhere (unless we pick up a loan or our of contract player).

Especially if the increasing rumours of Tav leaving are true. But that's a separate discussion for another thread.