Warning SEPA Flood Alert

portugal could ALSO be the finalists pete:rolleyes:

Yeah but we KNOW that Scotland got put out by the finalists, England need Portugal to win to say the same....... are you saying you WANT Portugal (and Ronaldo..... that should do the trick !!) to win ??

I this world cup, England beat:

Austria

Poland

Wales

Northern Ireland

Azerbaijan

Paraguay

Trinidad & Tobago

And didn't look convincing against any of them.

Yes we Scots are really jealous of that kind of form...

All England ever do is make heavy weather of easy draws...

Well, I'll be honest here, I am jealous of England and their recent qualification record. Scotland have never looked like qualifying recently and it looks like it will be a trend that will continue for some time.

If we are honest, we'd take Englands 'poor form' of reaching World Cups, Euro Championships and the later stages of these touriments (semi's and quarters).

To say anything otherwise is talking shit to be honest...

Cammy F

Well, I'll be honest here, I am jealous of England and their recent qualification record. Scotland have never looked like qualifying recently and it looks like it will be a trend that will continue for some time.

If we are honest, we'd take Englands 'poor form' of reaching World Cups, Euro Championships and the later stages of these touriments (semi's and quarters).

Cammy F

I agree Cammy, I'd happily watch Scotland stumble and stutter their way through the qualifying campaign as long as they got to the finals.

Cammy F

While I agree with your point, I think: with a half decent manager - even WS, with England's easy draws and apparent luck, I think even the present Scotland team weren't totally incapable of England's form for this competition.

Of course we'd have to get rid of our habit of shooting ourselves in the foot...

PS I forgot about Equador but they're another case in point.

We won't qualify for some time due to a combination of strange FIFA ranking system which takes friendlies into account and a crazy and incompetent manager who liked to try anyone and his dog in a string of friendly losses.

How can a country which at worst finishes third in their qualifying groups and usually finishes second, possibly be a fourth pot seed?

What WS needs to do is arrange a string of friendlies against minnows and put out a decent team to get our ranking back up. You don't get many points for beating a minnow but as Tesco says, every little helps, and multiply it by a load of games and you're back up there.

Trouble is that the players wouldn't want to do it.

While I agree with your point, I think: with a half decent manager - even WS, with England's easy draws and apparent luck, I think even the present Scotland team weren't totally incapable of England's form for this competition.

Of course we'd have to get rid of our habit of shooting ourselves in the foot...

PS I forgot about Equador but they're another case in point.

We won't qualify for some time due to a combination of strange FIFA ranking system which takes friendlies into account and a crazy and incompetent manager who liked to try anyone and his dog in a string of friendly losses.

How can a country which at worst finishes third in their qualifying groups and usually finishes second, possibly be a fourth pot seed?

What WS needs to do is arrange a string of friendlies against minnows and put out a decent team to get our ranking back up. You don't get many points for beating a minnow but as Tesco says, every little helps, and multiply it by a load of games and you're back up there.

Trouble is that the players wouldn't want to do it.

Easy draws??? Wales and NI whilst not being the greatest teams, it was 2 local derbies for England I wouldn't have put money on Scotland defeating either nation in a full international (Wales hammered us the last time we played).

In the group stages England had Sweden in their group, a nation who do relatively well in the World Cup and still managed to finish top of that group - something Scotland have NEVER achieved.

When was the last time Scotland finished 2nd top of a qualifying group as I can not remember it? Would it have been the time we played Holland in a play-off and were thrashed 6-1 on agg?

IIRC, England have gotten to 2 semi finals and 3 quarter finals of major championships in recent years - an achievement that most countries would be proud off. Even the English might be proud of this if they took a step back and looked at it in perspective.

Cammy F