Christian Dailly Signed

Totally disagree with the sentiment on here. I'll listen to Walter Smith's opinion on a player before anyone on here. I might not be excited by some of his signings but he's sitting top of the league and still in all competitions.

There is a lot of ageism on here and yet Walter's "vets" have trounced Le Guen's young guns.

It's not even that old a team: here's my approximation of the ages:

MacGregor 25

Whittaker 22

Wier 37

Cuellar 25

Papac 29

Hemdani 29

Thomson 22/Adam 21

Ferguson 30

Burke 24

Darcheville 32

Naismith 21

An average of under 26 which becomes about 24.5 if you take out Weir as an outlier.

I've always said that if you are unorthodox and succeed, you look like a genius, but if you fail you look like an idiot. However, it follows that if you are orthodox and succeed you show great wisdom. So Le Guen is the idiot and Smith is the wise man.

There is not many decent pros you can bring in to cover a multitude of positions on not too high a salary, and with someone who won't complain about warming the bench.

Walter spent about 12M in the summer and pretty much built a winning team, just think what he could do this summer, with a good team already in place and about 10M to enhance it...

In the meantime we need a stop gap insurance policy, on which I hope we will never make a claim.

Walter has performed miracles in the last year, I for one am not yet ready to slag him off about how he does his job.

He's a cheap, extremely experienced, versatile replacement for Ehiogu...

I'd be surprised if he actually plays - if he does actually sign.

Why bother signing him? Was Ugo going to play in the SPL this season? I doubt it.

I don't think he'd be a bad signing as a squad player. I know he's one of those whipping-boy figures among many supporters, but you simply don't get those many caps and play those many games in England if you're rubbish.

Problem is, I can't see where he'd play in our team, but maybe its because of his versatility that WS sees him as good cover for a few positions.

Why bother signing him? Was Ugo going to play in the SPL this season? I doubt it.

Depends - Cuellar gets injured tomorrow then Weir gets suspended.

Sames goes for right back and central midfield where Dailly can also play.

I agree it's hardly the most exciting signing in the world but in terms of cheap cover it's not too bad.

Have you forgotten how ineffective our central defence was with Hemdani there? All teams had to do was play a long ball and they'd create chances and score goals...

I'd imagine Dailly would be behind Broadfoot anyway. Like I say, it's most likely he'll never play.

The only thing is, what sort of message does it send out to the younger players and those who aren't in the first XI at the moment? I think its a sensible signing, but surely we have enough options to cope with even a few injuries at the moment?

A creative, attacking midfielder is what we need Walter.

Guest adamski
Have you forgotten how ineffective our central defence was with Hemdani there? All teams had to do was play a long ball and they'd create chances and score goals...

see also, Christian Dailly at every club he's played Centre Half for ;)

Dailly would offer more in central defence than Hemdani.... :brick:;)

If we had to move Hemdani back there then that would leave us short in defensive midfield so Dailly would have to play there... ;)