Thomas Buffel

Surely he should be given a chance though? We are playing a system that would suit him down to the ground. It'll cost us about 4 times the money that Feyenoord are required to replace him.

I say pay them the money and if he doesn't produce by the end of the season, ship him out.

I agree with Johnny. A couple of good touches against one of the worst teams in Scotland doesn't really say much. If you're going to give anyone a chance from last night's performance, it's got to be Gow. He showed far more promise than Buffel and put in a shift.

His other advantage over the Belgian is that we haven't seen him look like he can't be bothered.

Buffel is a talented player but has not been value for money in the slightest and probably cost us about �£2M by not signing for the German team that came in for him. His year of injury just rubs it in about how poor value he's been.

He needs to perform exceptionally well and put in shift after shift before he'll make it up to most bears. However, how can he even dream of earning a place in front of about 20 players who have put far more effort into the cause?

Could you really pick him before the likes of Novo who puts in and enthusiastic 100% every time he gets on the pitch?

I'd also much rather have Boyd on, who some say is lazy, but on average he's been industrious compared to Buffel and scored a barrel load of goals to boot.

I really doubt there's extra to pay if Tam plays a few more games as people have been saying that for his last three games and it should therefore have kicked in by now.

I think that WS sees what we've seen, and he has no place in his team for slackers, which is probably why Boyd is not a first pick although he puts in enough to get on the subs bench.

It's easy to say, "give soandso a chance" but when we're fighting four competition fronts we can afford to take the risk with those who could end up being passengers. Hence why he got the chance in an easy cup game that was already won.

Thing is with Buffel is that everyone knows the guy has talent but he doesn't show it enough. He's a bit of a bottler too if we're honest. Scared of tackles, scared of going in for headers but he's hardly ever up the the fight.

He may have played well last night but against who? Some plumbers, sparks and milkmen?

watch nacho's goal at easter road on helicopter sunday. Pay attention to the build up, and the movement. watch one player in particular ;) he's one of the few players at ibrox who plays football when he doesnt have the ball.

also thought he showed this movement, vision and creativity against motherwell but got harshly dropped and didnt get the credit due at the time.

Bring Back Buffel!!

I think Buffel is a very skillful player and would be happy to see him in a Rangers side.

Where most of the criticism of him comes from imo, is fans in this country not being able to accept a player unless he shows 100% aggression.

Tommy McLean is still remembered fondly nowadays by older Bears but I remember the fans screaming at him for pulling out of challenges. The wee man had skill but, like Buffel, wasny built for a clugging match.

Lovenkrands on the other hand..................... :ffs:

Where most of the criticism of him comes from imo, is fans in this country not being able to accept a player unless he shows 100% aggression.

:

I don't dislike him but it's his inconsistency that gets to me, 5 or 10 mins showing up in games in not good enough for me is it for you ?

If he done what he can for most of the game, every game he'll do for me, but he's never done in it the past and I can't see him doing it now.

Brian Laudrup never had much aggession and if I remember correctly I think he was well liked here :thup:

Great point about Laudrup, Johny.

If Buffel played half as well as Laudrup, the fans would love him and he'd be a hero. The cold, stark fact is, he basically been pants for most of his time at Ibrox, and most fans are not blind to it.

The same goes for Sebo and many others. If Sebo had played as well in his first 6 months as Novo, Boyd, McCulloch, Cousin, Darcheville, or Naismith, he'd still be here.

To further put Buffel out of the picture has been his desire to leave, then turning down a move because it wasn't a big enough team, then getting injured for a year, all before he'd played a single game for a new manager.

So add all that on top of his poor reputation, it's not surprising he's not in Walter's thoughts.

Smith would also be out of sight out of mind if we already had a Hutton on the right in the team. However we're crying out for a left back, so he'll be back in the team as soon as he's fit.

Thomas Buffel is desperate to leave Rangers before the end of the transfer window, according to his agent.

The Belgian international has been missing for much of the season due to injury problems.

And since returning to fitness he has rarely featured in manager Walter Smith's plans, although he did come off the bench to win a penalty in Wednesday night's 6-0 Scottish Cup win over East Stirling.

Having been close to joining German club Hannover last January, Buffel's agent Paul Courant admits the forward is desperately seeking a move away in order to play first-team football.

Courant said: "I am busy morning and night trying to find a new club for Thomas.

"The problem is that he does not play, but that is not his error. Hopefully we will find a new club before the transfer market closes on January 31."

But Buffel admitted it would be difficult to attract interest from another club due to his lack of action in recent months.

"There are very few options," Buffel told HLN, a Belgian news channel.

"Many clubs know that I have not played for a year. And neither Rangers nor myself profit if I have to sit for six more months on the bench. I must play as soon as possible.

"If a club comes knocking, you must listen always, but I will preferably take a step to a larger competition. My best years are still to come."