I wish I could share your optimism here guys, not so sure about where he is gonna fit in. Is he any better in what we have already?

FFS, Villa binned him and now Fulham let him go too. Hmmm! Keep believing I suppose.

Surely you have to believe hes better that Charlie Adam, i think hes exactly what we need, decent cover for central midfield.

This boy could be a good signing.

He was impressive when he came on the scene at Villa and I thought he would go on and be a good player but MON didnt see him in his plans so messed up his career with a move to Fulham. Thats a non starter as they are poor at the moment.

Hopefully he gets a game on Sunday and shows what he can do.

Villa didn't 'bin him' he was sold for over �£4M......

Having seen a fair bit of NI's European campaign Davis stood out along with Healy as the best players that they have. He was outstanding in the victory over England and set up Healy's winner.

Will be a very decent addition to the squad IMO and we really need a creative midfield player that can take some of the workload from Fergie.

Cammy F

STEVE DAVIS finally realised his childhood dream last night when he was able to call himself a Rangers player - 11 years after he thought his chance had gone.

After a long transfer deadline day of negotiations and a bump or two along the way for Walter Smith, the Ibrox boss signed the classy 23-year-old Fulham midfielder on loan until the end of the season with a view to making the move permanent in the summer.

And Northern Ireland captain Davis couldn't believe his luck at signing for the club he supported while growing up in Ballymena.

The midfielder thought he had missed his chance after his first go at becoming a Rangers player back in 1997 didn't work out.

Davis came over from Northern Ireland for trials when he was only 12, with stars in his eyes and hopes of becoming a Rangers legend.

But sadly for him it was not to be and the club told him he wouldn't be signed.

That setback was not to prove fatal to his football career and he ended up making the grade at Aston Villa.

However, dreams do sometimes come true and shortly after 9pm last night Davis expressed his delight at his move on Rangers' website.

He said: "This really is a dream come true for me. I have been a fan of the club all my life so to get the chance to come to Ibrox is fantastic.

"When I heard the news that Rangers were interested in signing me it was a no-brainer. Since Roy Hodgson took over as boss at Fulham things have not worked out for me so I welcome this chance to come to Glasgow.

"I'm finally getting my chance after missing out when I was a kid. I came over for trials when I was 12 and I played in the same team as Stevie Smith.

"I'm glad he's doing well again and I look forward to meeting up with him when I get there on Friday.

"Rangers are in a great position right now as they are challenging on all fronts and it will be fantastic to be part of that.

"I hope to win trophies with Rangers, that would be fantastic. I obviously know who the players are and to play in the same team as Barry Ferguson will be great."

For those Rangers fans unsure about Davis, there are plenty willing to tell them just what a talent he is.

Former Northern Ireland boss Lawrie Sanchez once described the little midfielder as another Frank Lampard - that tells you all you need to know about what he thinks of the latest Ibrox import.

Sanchez, who took Davis to Fulham, gave the creative schemer his international debut at 18. He then went on to make him captain of the Northern Ireland team that enjoyed a sensational European Championship qualifying campaign. It's fair to say he is a fan.

In fact, one of the former Wimbledon hero's first moves when he left the Northern Ireland post for Craven Cottage last season was to go to Aston Villa with a �£4million cheque and prise the player from Martin O'Neill's clutches.

Sanchez, who was sacked last month as Fulham toiled in the relegation zone, was surprised to learn from Record Sport last night that his protege was heading north.

But he has no doubts the move will be mutually beneficial. Davis gets to play for the club of his dreams while the SPL leaders have landed themselves a player who will cover every blade of grass as well as use the ball intelligently when he gets it.

Sanchez said: "Rangers are getting a smashing player. Everybody knows how highly I rate Steve and I have done since I first set eyes on him.

"I took him to Azerbaijan with us when he was still in his teens, a kid of about 18. That was a tough place to go but it showed me he had the right attitude because he took it all in his stride and it wasn't long before he was playing regularly.

"I had no hesitation in making him captain of his country because his attitude is spot on. He is a leader, despite being young, but most of all he can play.

"Central midfield is his position. I have described him in the past as another Frank Lampard - and he is that kind of player."

If he is half the player the Chelsea man is, you won't find the Rangers fans complaining.

Sanchez admitted he was surprised but delighted to land the diminutive midfielder - he is only 5ft 7in - last July, even though it took �£4m to get him.

He added: "Obviously, having worked with the lad I knew what I would be getting but I didn't think Villa would sell him because he had been in their first team regularly and actually won their Player of the Year award the season before.

"But I got him and he played well for me, even if the results didn't fall for us.

"He has gone from strength to strength and some of his performances for Northern Ireland have been outstanding."

Davis, who has 26 caps, led his country to victory over England - he laid on David Healy's winner in that unforgettable 1-0 victory at Windsor Park - and also wore the armband the night Northern Ireland shocked Europe by beating Spain 3-2.

Sanchez said: "Those really were unbelievable night. Steve was terrific as were all the lads. He uses the ball exceptionally well but more than that, he is such a hard worker.

"Rangers have got a very good player and he will be ideally suited to Scottish football because he is not afraid to work hard and when he gets the ball his quality is there for all to see."