well, after a month of solid football, here we are.

two teams left and i`m always very sad when the tournement has finished cause it means we don`t get fitty everyday on t.v. anymore.

suppose its been good but certainly not the best ever.

not sure which one would be classified as the best ever tournement, but the one that sticks out for me is italia 90. that was an amazing tourne with italy and schillaci and cameroon and milla, and england and gazza.

even, spain 82 which i barely remember now was a better comp with the incredible france and brazil sides consisting of platini, and zico and socrates.

i`ll remember this tourne though as one in which england COULD have won it. with france and italy in the final, i`d say england don`t have any worse team than them two.

however, france and italy are near enough equally matched teams and i would honestly never have went for either to be in the final after their first couple of games.

france have only got their team together after their third group game. they`ve beaten good spain and brazil sides on the way aswell as a tricky portugal. so they definetly merit to be in there.

italy just creeped through and were lucky to even win their group after a few dodgy displays versus u.s.a and czech republic and even ghana.

next they were really unconvincing v australia and only lucky to escape with a 2-1 result. they had fortune in their side v ukraine, as they were no real match for the i-ties and the only real game they have looked like world beaters is v germany.

this kind of form tells me that france should win following wins v spain, brazil and portugal(all good teams), but you just cannot count the italians out with scraped victories over australia and ukraine.

it`s a hard one to call when you look at the facts.

but, im going to go for france now. they just have the team to beat potential big teams where italy have scraped through.

prediction score.... france 1 italy....0 a.e.t.

Italy 2 - France 1

I reckon Italy will just be a wee bit too strong. I think the scandal thats hit Italian football and the incident with Tessotto (I think thats his name) has galvanised their determination to win. I can see Italy getting a goal up early, then adding a 2nd as France push the game with a late Zidane consolation.

Stewarty - Crystal Ball Loyal.

The earliest WC I can remember was Italia '90. Scotland getting beaten by Costa Rica, beating Sweden and then losing out against Brazil late in the game to a Careca goal. I went to bed that night crying my eyes out! :(

I remember the countdown to Germany 06, it dragged in and now the competition is nearly done for another 4 years. It's not been the best but it sure beats a summer without football.

Best game of the tournament so far has to be the semi-final between Germany and Italy.

My predicition for the final Italy 1 - 0 France.

Colsh, Italy beat the Aussies 1-0, 94th min pen - not 2-1

I will go for 2-1 to Italy.

so they did. i took it from my prediction chart which i had marked down 2-1 to italy a s a prediction

*slap on the wrists

Get my kids tomorrow night and they are just back froma holiday in France with their mum so I promised Jack we'd watch the final together!

I thought he'd be well happy and over the moon, the response was 'cool dad'. Buggers growing up too quick

Earliest and best WC i remember is 86 and Scotland playing Uruguay when one of there players got red carded after about 10 seconds!!

At the start of the tournament i said i cant write of France, any team with Thuram, Makelele, Vieira, Zidane and Henry had to be in with a slight chance.

Italy have been impressive in patches and as Gav says there win over Germany was joint game of the tournament with Argentina v Serbia - that was the best display ive ever seen at this level.

Its very tough to call. Im afraid i cant see a classic as both teams will be cautious and can see a repeat of the 1990 boring final when W Germany won it with a pen.

Im going to sit on the fence and say a draw after 90 mins and aet and it will go to pens.

BTW IMO the best team in the tournament was Argentina, they were unlucky and shouldnt of subbed Riquelme against Germany or they might be in the final tonight.