The "penalty" incident

Looking at the Brown penalty claim again, I think it's pretty clear from the following clip (1min 28secs in) that his right leg stuck in the turf and caused the stumble... No penalty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdvfI3ftjGI

Just watched that clip again and I have to agree. He clips his own leg, stumbles and then is off balance. Also, Brown doesn't go down or appeal for the penalty so it's a non-issue. Couldn't believe how much time was devoted to it by Setanta and as an aside, can I just say how much Ian Crocker and Scott Booth are grating on me. A more painful combination to listen to you will not find.

Yip agree with Stewarty after watching it again - definately not a pen, but if he went down would the ref had seen it that way!!

Have to say Thomson is very lucky not to have been sent off but as someone said these things even themselves out as his first booking was a joke.

Cant believe you lot have to put up with Jim Delahunt, I totally forgot he existed until seeing his little round face on that clip. I get the commentary with Crocker and Booth but dont see the ones in the studio. Who picks the Setanta team!!! - Delahunt, Crocker and Scott Booth :brick:

I think we need to take off the blue tinted specs here. If say McGeady did the same we'd be calling him a cheating, diving bastard!

Not me, I would have defended the Rangers player but would have still come to the same, "no foul, no dive," conclusion.

I think it's a bit much to accuse a professional football of cheating with such inconclusive evidence, which in the context of the events just doesn't add up.

I've seen far worse from Sutton who used to engineer penalties, yet he not only got away with it but also won games from the resultant undeserved spot kick.

At worst, Thomson's case is "Not proven".

At worst, Thomson's case is "Not proven".

I have absolutely no idea how you arrived at that conclusion. The replay clearly shows Thomson kick out his left leg hoping that it catches Samaras' left leg and the referee being tricked into giving us a penalty. Had it have happened I'd have cheered as loud as I did for the 1st goal and had a wee chuckle at Thomsons antics.

How could it be a penalty when the trip was outside the box? His leg moved towards Samaras no more than Samaras' leg move towards Thomson. If a slight movement makes you guilty then perhaps it should have been a free kick for us...

The reason it wasn't is that the movement by Samaras wasn't big enough, same goes for Thomson.

The way I see it, Thomson was hoping to be fouled and tried to run accross the player to help it happen but ended up just tripping himself.

I've seen far more blatant stuff than that, and as it's still not totally clear, I've given the player the benefit of the doubt, rather than presume that he is a cheat.

How could it be a penalty when the trip was outside the box? His leg moved towards Samaras no more than Samaras' leg move towards Thomson. If a slight movement makes you guilty then perhaps it should have been a free kick for us...

The reason it wasn't is that the movement by Samaras wasn't big enough, same goes for Thomson.

The way I see it, Thomson was hoping to be fouled and tried to run accross the player to help it happen but ended up just tripping himself.

I've seen far more blatant stuff than that, and as it's still not totally clear, I've given the player the benefit of the doubt, rather than presume that he is a cheat.

I'm not saying he's a cheat, I'm saying he played for it. A cheat would've gone down with no contact, Thomson went down after he kicked Samaras' leg so I'd agree with you saying that he played for it.

Penalty or FK it doesn't really matter, you're just being picky now.

So if Scott Brown goes down by Whittakers touch, is that not diving ???

The same thing has basically happened with Thommo and Samaras, Thomson has been labled a dive, but every one is saying that BRown should go down and get a penalty, is that not encouriging diving ?

So if Scott Brown goes down by Whittakers touch, is that not diving ???

The same thing has basically happened with Thommo and Samaras, Thomson has been labled a dive, but every one is saying that BRown should go down and get a penalty, is that not encouriging diving ?