The "penalty" incident

I've watched the game again today and can't believe how much Setanta are making on the penalty incident where Whittaker allegedly fouls Brown.

I've looked at numerous times and it just seems to me that Brown's foot catches the back of his calf BEFORE whittaker touches him and that makes him stumble. Yes, Whittaker touches him after that but it in no way adds anything to the stumble, and there is only contact because Brown has slowed down due to his stumble, and there is therefore no way it should be a penalty.

I can't figure out why Butcher or McAvenie couldn't see it....or maybe I can.

Or am I missing something?

Any excuse mate...

I've not seen it the game on TV yet (other than the goal) but no Celtic player claimed for it so that's good enough for me.

Thats a good point that I missed Frankie. Not a single player claimed for the penalty.....seems your the only one to notice that. Good man :D

Bropwn stayed on his feet and got a shot away so what is there to complain about?

EXACTLY. Ref played advantage, he got a shot away - you can hardly go back and give a pen after that.

Typical moaning Tims - never their own inept performance but always a conspiracy !

Guest 5StarBear

It is a bloody joke the amount of time spent discussing this non-starter. Broon was tripping over his own feet, the clown can't think as fast as his feet want to go, so he just fumbles it.

Thompson, half the price, twice the player. Loved that comment that I read yesterday. haha

After seeing it again I thought if he went down he may have got a pen, but he stayed on his feet and got his shot in. As said, this is playing advantage and he never even claimed for it.

You can quite clearly see it in the replay that Brown trips himself up and stumbles before any contact from Whittaker is made. I think he'd have got a penalty if he'd gone down, but he never, so what's the problem?

Can you imagine the conspiracy theories if the boot was on the other foot and it was a Rangers player who got a pentalty for that kind of incident? There is no way Celtic fans would have agreed it was a penalty. It would be the softest penalty of the season.

The green tinted specs are of the most myopic kind.

Its just embarrassing in some of the paper reports (and associated comments) I've read though. Next to no mention of the behaviour of their players and how a number were lucky to stay on the park.

Was good to see Thomson having his say via the Record online today though.