Celtic striker Derek Riordan claimed manager Gordon Strachan was "talking rubbish" by claiming that he is still in his plans.

Riordan was signed in June 2006 after scoring 64 goals in 146 appearances for Hibernian but has failed to make an impact at Parkhead.

The 25-year-old could not even find a place on the bench for Saturday's 1-0 defeat by Motherwell which all but ended their SPL title hopes.

"I only get chucked on when we need a goal so he must think I can get him one," Riordan told Scotland on Sunday.

"But he obviously doesn't want to do it unless he really has to because he doesn't want me to prove him wrong.

"He knows I would score quite a lot if he played me as much as he has played the other strikers but I don't think he wants to be proved wrong.

"When I speak to him, he's nice to me and says all the things that players want to hear about me being part of his plans but you know by his actions that he is talking rubbish.

"It is frustrating. I was left out of the squad (for the defeat against Motherwell) and was training with the reserves on Friday.

"I've virtually chucked it at Celtic , what's the point when I'm not getting a chance?

"I feel let down by the manager. I remember him sitting in my mum's house trying to sign me and he said I could play anywhere in his midfield or up front.

"It was the same in the press conferences but now I can only play left-midfield for some reason and that's not even my best position."

--

Don't really think any player should slam a manager he's still employed under, but still.. in this case you can't help but feel like Strachan has been a bit of a pompus arse and is another case of him being made to look silly.

The guy's frustration has probably got him to the point where he just doesn't care anymore. In saying that, anything or anyone who brings down chesney and the septic is alright in my book. :drink:

PS. I'd sign him in a minute. :rfc:

Don't think there is any way Chesney would sell him to us, but I really don't understand why he doesn't use him. It must be something personal, but then you would expect it to have come out by now. Don't blame Riordan for being pissed off.

I think he has timed this. Strachan is under big pressure and the celtic fans are on Riordans side.

I can understand his frustration. I dont agree with public slatings either unless they have been behind closed doors for a long time and nothing gets resolved, which in Riordans situation HAS to be the case. I can imagine Gow and Buffel thinking the same about WS.

maybe im getting the wrong end of the stick here, but do i detect a small hint of resentment in young riodans statement ? im really starting to think hes starting to not like his manager. :fish:

Strachan has bascially stalled Riordens career big time by hardly playing him for past 2 seasons. Guy was scoring loads of goals for Hibs and then gets stuck in the reserves at Parkhead behind donkeys like Miller and Hesselink...GOOD GOOD lol. And when he does play, he scores. Hmmm and Celtic accused of not scoring enough. Yep, Strachans a top manager all right.

Major frustration, and feeling let down by his manager has probably led to this outburst...would assume he'll get fined for it. But then again, they got him for �£300,000...hardly play the guy but want �£1 million if anyone comes snifffing. Get real Chesney and give the guy a free and let him get on with his career down South. Would be good for the Scotland team if he could he still the player he was at Hibs.