RST Call for Meeting with Lawwell and Police

WORRIED Rangers fans have demanded a big-game summit with Celtic chief Peter Lawwell after stating missile-throwing Hoops thugs have made Parkhead unsafe for players and supporters.

http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/41663/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2008/04/18/rangers-trust-want-last-old-firm-game-behind-closed-doors-after-coin-throwing-86908-20386669/

:)

Guest scotzine

AYE but if you look at the Record article it shows also:

THE Rangers Supporters Trust last night called for next weekend's Old Firm game to be played behind closed doors after the shameful scenes that blighted Wednesday's clash.

The fans' group have urged the SFA to take immediate action as they claim Celtic cannot guarantee the safety of players and backroom staff

Ibrox doctor Paul Jackson was struck by a coin while treating injured keeper Allan McGregor during the Parkhead club's 2-1 victory.

And television pictures showed Celtic's Barry Robson was almost hit by a missile as he took a corner in the first half.

With the two sides meeting again at Parkhead on Sunday week the Rangers Trust fear another security breach could leave someone seriously injured.

Spokesman David Edgar said: "It has become clear Celtic cannot guarantee the safety of players.

"It appears Celtic are not doing enough to eradicate this sort of irresponsible behaviour and it's time the SFA stepped in to clear up the problem which is being tacitly encouraged by lack of punitive action. It is only a matter of time before someone suffers a serious injury and ends up in hospital.

"Given the security lapses and the likelihood of it happening again it would make sense to play the next Old Firm game a week on Sunday behind closed doors. That sort of action would at least send the right messages."

Yet the RST forget to put this in their articles - if CP is dangerous to fans and players is that just the celtic fans or is that rangers fans also? and playing behidn closed doors would damage both celtic and rangers fans. If they play the game behind closeddoors it doesnt mean that the Rangers fans would get in it would be an empty stadium. Or did they just forget that also.

Celtic will be fined, Rangers will be fined (for the stuff thrown into the celtic fans and at robson) the clubs will be severely warned about their fans behaviour , the clubs will issue statements to the fans on their behaviour and thats the end of it.

Nothing was thrown at Barry Robson - especially not the potatoes claimed on daft Celtic forums.

Rangers fans were throwing TIFO tape throughout thje game and one roll of this didn't unwind as it landed near Robson.

That's a bit different from coins, mobile phones and buses being bricked, Scotzine and that's why we've NOT been reported and will NOT be fined. Celtic will (or should be).

I'm annoyed at the spin the Record has put on this. Perhaps I have misunderstood and given the way it has been reported it's perhaps easy to see why.

Am I right in saying that the RST want to have some dialogue with Celtic with regards to crowd safety given recent incidents? At no point was any RST spokesperson quoted as saying that the game would be played behind closed doors - to say that would not show the RST in the best light in my view.

Spokesman David Edgar said: "It has become clear Celtic cannot guarantee the safety of players.

"It appears Celtic are not doing enough to eradicate this sort of irresponsible behaviour and it's time the SFA stepped in to clear up the problem which is being tacitly encouraged by lack of punitive action. It is only a matter of time before someone suffers a serious injury and ends up in hospital.

"Given the security lapses and the likelihood of it happening again it would make sense to play the next Old Firm game a week on Sunday behind closed doors. That sort of action would at least send the right messages

Um, that's what they want. Says so right there.

Um, that's what they want. Says so right there.

Fair do's. I kind of understand that this may be driven by ulterior motives i.e. to raise awareness surrounding the lack of action from Celtic surrounding sectarianism, fan behaviour etc; but it doesn't sit well with me. I think there must be better ways of doing this...

Fair do's. I kind of understand that this may be driven by ulterior motives i.e. to raise awareness surrounding the lack of action from Celtic surrounding sectarianism, fan behaviour etc; but it doesn't sit well with me. I think there must be better ways of doing this...

It could be percieved as being a bit tit-for-tat I guess, but they seem to have been getting away with everything for years. Something has to be done.