RST Call for Meeting with Lawwell and Police

Fair do's. I kind of understand that this may be driven by ulterior motives i.e. to raise awareness surrounding the lack of action from Celtic surrounding sectarianism, fan behaviour etc; but it doesn't sit well with me. I think there must be better ways of doing this...

Don't agree with it myself, but how often does the Record run with RST statements? It probably has to be OTT for them to run it.

Davie Edgar didn't say that he was calling for it anyway, just that it would make sense.

Don't agree with it myself, but how often does the Record run with RST statements? It probably has to be OTT for them to run it.

Davie Edgar didn't say that he was calling for it anyway, just that it would make sense.

Surely if he's saying that it makes sense, that's his way of calling for it? Can't see the difference in the two views.

It could be percieved as being a bit tit-for-tat I guess, but they seem to have been getting away with everything for years. Something has to be done.

Perhaps. As I said, I can see the tactics that may be in play but there is no way that Rangers would demand Celtic Park be closed -certainly not publicly. If Rangers did do this then the outcome would be damaged relations between the two clubs which would be bad for everyone.

Perhaps. As I said, I can see the tactics that may be in play but there is no way that Rangers would demand Celtic Park be closed -certainly not publicly. If Rangers did do this then the outcome would be damaged relations between the two clubs which would be bad for everyone.

But it's not Rangers, it's a Rangers supporters representative.

Celtic to investigate crowd problems but unlikely to be finedDARRYL BROADFOOT April 18 2008

Celtic could take action against the supporter who threw a coin at the Rangers doctor, Paul Jackson, during Wednesday's 2-1 home win at Parkhead.

An object, believed to be a coin, was thrown from the Jock Stein end of the ground as Dr Jackson oversaw treatment to the Rangers goalkeeper, Allan McGregor. The incident has been included in the report compiled by the referee, Kenny Clark, and also the Scottish Premier League match delegate, Alan Dick.

The issue has now been referred to the SPL for consideration but The Herald understands it is highly unlikely Celtic will be served with a financial penalty. The club will, however, be proactive in identifying the culprit and will also investigate the throwing of objects towards Barry Robson as he prepared to take a corner kick at the Rangers end.

advertisement

Rangers banned a supporter for life when he was caught throwing an ice-filled drinks container at Stilyan Petrov in the Old Firm derby at Ibrox in April 2005. Celtic will consider a similar course of action after surveying CCTV footage.

In the same season, Fernando Ricksen, the former Rangers right-back, was hit with a coin at Pittodrie and a lighter at Celtic Park. The spate of incidents prompted the former president of the SFA, John McBeth, to threaten ground closure in an interview with The Herald. "I admit that it is not the most popular course of action but it is effective and if the situation is not addressed, then it is something we would have to consider," said McBeth. "If there is a justification, then the short, sharp, shock' tactic might be the best way to deal with it."

Drew Herbertson, the head of the Scottish FA's disciplinary committee, has also consulted with Clark to establish the full details of the brouhaha at the final whistle. David Weir and Gary Caldwell have been reported for violent conduct - effectively post-match red cards - and will miss their clubs' next matches.

Caldwell will be suspended for Saturday's league match against Aberdeen, while Weir will be ineligible for Sunday's Scottish Cup semi-final against St Johnstone.

Neither Rangers nor Celtic will exercise the right of appeal so that both will be available for the final Old Firm derby of the season, at Parkhead next Sunday. Carlos Cuellar will miss the concluding derby through suspension after he was red-carded for handling Shunsuke Nakamura's net-bound shot in the second half on Wednesday.

Stephen McManus was also cautioned for his altercation with Barry Ferguson. The two captains collided, with television evidence showing McManus to have aimed a swing at Ferguson, who retaliated angrily. McManus' booking takes him to the 15-point threshold and one more caution will lead to an automatic ban.

Taken from todays Herald. John Mcbeth, at the time the head of the SFA, called for groud closures should incidents like this recurr. I'm not saying it's the right course of action, but players, supporters and others have to be kept safe.

But it's not Rangers, it's a Rangers supporters representative.

Ok then, so what are Celtic likely to do? It's not an official demand for the stadium to be closed because it's from a supporters body. They have no obligation to take this seriously and are likely to come out with something dismissing the notion as laughable. It's definitely leaving us open to tit-for-tat retaliation and I think it would have been far better to allow the SPL/SFA to handle the fall out of the incident. That way, the club can make their views known privately and whatever sanctions can be imposed as seen fit.

Now, if the SFA/SPL chicken out of taking action or sanctions, that would be different.

Ok then, so what are Celtic likely to do? It's not an official demand for the stadium to be closed because it's from a supporters body. They have no obligation to take this seriously and are likely to come out with something dismissing the notion as laughable. It's definitely leaving us open to tit-for-tat retaliation and I think it would have been far better to allow the SPL/SFA to handle the fall out of the incident. That way, the club can make their views known privately and whatever sanctions can be imposed as seen fit.

Now, if the SFA/SPL chicken out of taking action or sanctions, that would be different.

Which they will. The Trust isn't asking Celtic to close the gorund, they are hinting that the SFA should take that measure as Celtic can't ensure safety. Which is slightly ludicrous, as what team can ensure that not one of 60,000 or so people won't do something daft!

Stephen McManus was also cautioned for his altercation with Barry Ferguson. The two captains collided, with television evidence showing McManus to have aimed a swing at Ferguson, who retaliated angrily. McManus' booking takes him to the 15-point threshold and one more caution will lead to an automatic ban.

Good to see that aiming a swing at someone only gets a yellow card :rolleyes:

Which they will. The Trust isn't asking Celtic to close the gorund, they are hinting that the SFA should take that measure as Celtic can't ensure safety. Which is slightly ludicrous, as what team can ensure that not one of 60,000 or so people won't do something daft!

Exactly, it is ludicrous. There's always the risk of nutjob elements of all sets of fans doing stupid things. I await a dismissive response from Celtic at some point.