Violence In Manchester

Guest True Mancunian

I work for the council responsible for the screens, NOT directly involved in that department, but know it was a technical fault, unavoidable, and easy to fix IF the engineer had been allowed to do so. What do you think, those in charge thought it would be a good idea tojust turn it off?? Behave.

I was born in Newton Heath, Manchester, and have lived in the area all my life, guess I have no way of proving that, or that I am not an imposter. Or a 'Timposter' whatever that may be.

I came on this site as we have had several Gers fans on our City site, before game, asking for hotels, pubs etc, and thought this site would be a good place to let you guys know the feeling about what happened here last night.

If you want to add insult to the injury I sustained last night, then fine, bury your heads in the sand, and think I am not genuine................

Maybe I expected too much by posting. Will leave site then.

everyone here apologised to you and are ashamed about those who ruined it. what more do you want? if you want to demonise a whole travelling crowd because of 0.037% of them (46 arrests, 125k fans) then that's upto you. i bet there's 46 arrests a weekend in Manchester. but you can only get up on your high horse if you hand back everything all the decent fans gave you - either hand all the money and shared reverie back and demonise everyone, or realise that unfortunately some people are just arseholes, and as much as we would like that they didn't exist, they do. we can only apologise on their behalf. we mean it sincerely - every rangers fan i've spoken to is just gutted at the thought of what damage these morons have done. you can come on here at rant at people who are nothing to do with trouble if you want; but if their apologies arent good enough for you, then there's no more we can do.

Rangers players being paraded in an open topped bus.:eek: What the F**k is that about. We lost! Get to Murray park and get prepared for Saturday. We have two days to get our heads sorted not drive about in an open topped bus.

Unbelievable. We are setting ourselves up to be shot down.

Has been cancelled as a mark of respect to Tommy Burns.

As a side to this, will C****c request that Saturday's matches are cancelled. I would say that Tommy Burns meant more to C****c than Phil O'Donnell.

As a side to this, will C****c request that Saturday's matches are cancelled. I would say that Tommy Burns meant more to C****c than Phil O'Donnell.

Oooooh!.... clever! Won't happen of course. I now want us to win SPL more than ever if that were possible.

RANGERS Football Club issued the following statement in light of incidents involving supporters in Manchester. Martin Bain, chief executive, said:" The club has had discussions with Greater Manchester Police and Manchester City Council in view of incidents in the city last night. "The police and council praised the behaviour of the overwhelming majority of Rangers fans and estimates suggest there could have been around 200,000 in the city yesterday."There was a tremendous atmosphere all around the city and the vast majority deserved credit for the way they behaved."The police and council have identified the failure of a big screen in the city as a key point in the evening. We are deeply disappointed that a small minority soured what was great carnival atmosphere and this is a view shared by our fans who travelled in unprecedented numbers to Manchester." We would like to thank everyone in Manchester who made such a great effort to welcome our fans to the city yesterday."

there more i'm seeing about all this, the less comfortable i feel. there's nothing the decent people can do about people of these sort - how do you say "we're as frustrated as you" without seeming insincere.

Guest True Mancunian
everyone here apologised to you and are ashamed about those who ruined it. what more do you want? if you want to demonise a whole travelling crowd because of 0.037% of them (46 arrests, 125k fans) then that's upto you. i bet there's 46 arrests a weekend in Manchester. but you can only get up on your high horse if you hand back everything all the decent fans gave you - either hand all the money and shared reverie back and demonise everyone, or realise that unfortunately some people are just arseholes, and as much as we would like that they didn't exist, they do. we can only apologise on their behalf. we mean it sincerely - every rangers fan i've spoken to is just gutted at the thought of what damage these morons have done. you can come on here at rant at people who are nothing to do with trouble if you want; but if their apologies arent good enough for you, then there's no more we can do.

bmck, sorry, wasn't saying I didn't appreciate the apologies from the good people who replied. I do, was just bit miffed at being called an imposter, and was angry at my physical asault still in my original post. I have chilled somewhat now, and wish to retract the 'Your'e not welcome in Manchester' statement I made. I apologise for that.

I know all clubs, my own, City, and the red and white shite from Trafford included in this area have our own share of prats,, and that you people on here are genuine fans with no part in what those idiots did.

All the best for the remaining games.

Just seen a CCTV clip on SSN there, looks terrible, 1 police officer goes down and ends up with 20 odd Gers "fans" kicking into him.

This has really put a dampner on what should be one of the proudest occasions ever for us.

They don't have a game on Saturday but of course they may need a month to recover from someone who is still attached to the club.

I do, was just bit miffed at being called an imposter, and was angry at my physical asault still in my original post.

you've every right to be angry. the only reason people thought you might be an imposter is because of the horrible, horrible habit old firm fans have of celebrating the failings of their opposition and their fans. we've had, on here, over the years, so many people who have faked their identity to enjoy taking cheap digs - that's why people were suspicious, it happens too regularly for people not to consider it. you only need to look at the comments on news websites from celtic supporters who have actively looked for reports of trouble, and used it as a pitiful excuse for a game of oneupmanship when real people's lives were affected.

i know you're from manchester, though. you're not one of those people. the sad thing is that with big crowds people with bad/sly intentions know exactly how to turn things sour. the football hooligan element is canny enough to know that if they look like victims to the people immediately surrounding them and start shouting about "heavy handed policing", some reaction is going to follow. its hard to know about the facts, and it's tempting to generalise. amidst the dissonant sound of everyone who feels righteously idignant (manchester's people for their city looking like a bombsite, the police who shouldn't have to deal with violence, the majority of rangers fans whose reputation has been sullied by people unknown, the rangers fans who poured life and soul and money into the city who are now being made to look like animals, the people in the square who experienced an absolutely shocking technical error, and the people who were disgracefully pelted for trying to solve the shocking technical error) there is some sort of truth, but everyone is to some extent responsible, and they immediately want to deflect the degree of responsibility by saying all the good stuff they've done.

it strikes me now that people are just interested in brands & the media: rfc wants to distance itself from the hooligans, the council wants to deflect criticism about poor organisation, the police wants to protect itself against any accusations that they are responsible, rangers fans want you to look at things in terms of a percentage of trouble. english nationalists want to view it as a striking example of scottish backwardness, and so play up the violence, and others want to highlight how well most of the people got on with each other as an example of how strong the union is. it's all rhetoric as everyone wants to defend their corner - it becomes a propoganda war.

i think, though, when people think about it for a second - badness should be condemned (however/whereever it occurs) and goodness celebrated.

for the badness that was our fault, we only can, and should, say sorry. and we are.

They don't have a game on Saturday but of course they may need a month to recover from someone who is still attached to the club.

Surely cancelling Thursday's game is now a must.

Don't know where I got Saturday from, I mean I think we used to play Football on a Saturday. Will need to refer to historical data. ;)