Phil O'Donnell - Tommy Burns

I have to say i am very heartened by the maturity and reasoned answers with regards to both situations.It would be so easy for people to go down the conspiricy theory road

That is the great thing about this forum, most posters do try and discuss sensibly from all sides.

Guest TheWorthyEd
A mate sent me the following text. What is your opinion on this.

**Quote**

Phil O'Donnell died, I believe, on boxing day, rendering Celtic unable to play on Jan 2nd due to being "Too distraught" at the loss of a player who had played a handfull of games 10 years ago. On 15th May, a true Celtic legend, who has been with the club since he was a boy and was still actively involved with the club right up until his unfortuntate death, passed away with dignity. This time however, the celtic players don't seem "Too distraught" and are more than willing to play when all their players are fit and there's a league to be won! Draw your own conclusions!

**Unquote**

As morbid as it is I am very surprised that Celtic (or even Tommy Burns' family) didn't ask to have all of last weekends games postponed as a mark of respect.

I was also sent this text - and the truth of it stares you in the face.

A more despicable shower of bas*ards you will struggle to find anywhere.

Cynical FC - the tainted club of Scottish (Irish?) football.

Find this one a little difficult to comment on because of the cancer aspect.

What happened to bot has been horrible, an both have been taken away far to many years eary.

Best wishes to their families, both of them. Celtic, Rangers, any other club means fuck all when it comes to something like this.

I just hope everyone can show some respect.

I think that Celtic did not show respect by using O'Donnell's death for their own means.

I am 100% certain that if it had happened at a time when Celtic had no injuries or suspensions then they would not have asked for trhe game to be cancelled.

The fact of the matter is the circumstances in which Phil O'Donnell passed away, suddenly and saddly on the pitch. I think it was only right in this instance to postpone games...remember it is only a game after all.

Dundee Utd players were on the pitch when O'Donnell collapsed. Dundee Utd requested twice that their next game be postponed but this was rejected.

Yet Celtic only had a tenuous link to the player and they managed to get their game cancelled. Hmmm.

One possible alternative I've thought of is that, perhaps they didn't want an Old Firm game and all its controversy to overshadow Phil's memory. If it had been another game it probably would not have been called off.

However, once you have requested your rivals postpone a game for whatever reason, it seems to me to be highly unsporting to then pressure your league to force your rivals to play so many games in such a short period.

To me it's akin to Rangers kicking the ball out for a Celtic player on the ground and then Celtic go on the attack from the throw-in instead of throwing it back.

Where Celtic fans have been very poor is that they have shown no empathy at all for the situation. All OF firm fans should put themselves in the other sides shoes before jumping on a bandwagon.

Surely Celtic fans would have preferred a league extension had it been them? If so, they have shown how little sporting integrity they have. Celtic and their fans can basically never again complain about fixture congestion or request an extension to the season without looking like cheats.

They can only show they are not cheats by being completely consistent when the odds are stacked against them instead of Rangers.

However they have already shown their lack of integrity by complaining that they had the harder START to the season!

One possible alternative I've thought of is that, perhaps they didn't want an Old Firm game and all its controversy to overshadow Phil's memory. If it had been another game it probably would not have been called off.

:D :D

Wish I was on whatever you've been taking :onetoomany:

ad hominems are pish. if he's wrong, say why...

Sorry boss. Didn't mean to offend your sensibilities.

To me, it's such an outrageous suggestion that it didn't need any explanation. I thought my previous comments of being "100% certain" would be enough, but in case they aren't, please see the post below.