Juff, If Whittaker is fit and there are no midfield injuries he will play RB. If Stevie Smith is fit then he will play LB - both their natural positions. They will, if fit, both be first choice in those positions too so why spend copious amounts of money on back-ups when we have more pressing needs elsewhere ?

Or would you rather spend our budget on two full backs and leave the glaring lack of creativity as a problem for next season again.

IMO we have a decent defence and with Smith and Whittaker both able to get forward I just dont see the need for excessive spending on those positions.

We need cover for both of those positions but IMO we dont need to be spending a ton of money on these positions when Smith and Whittaker are both capable there.

If the budget is tight I would rather WS concentrated on buying attacking flair players.Yes we could do with a RB,CB and possibly a LB,but we really need players who are going to create chances so IMO midfield/forwards should be priority

I agree with Juffery and Craig here. Defensively we are solid, could do with freshening things up with Weir surely on his way but the full back areas depend hugely on whether we have natural full backs playing there. That said, Smith and Whittaker playing their respsective positions is the number one choice. The problem is, what if they cant or dont?

With the transfer windowsyou dont have the option to sign someone to solve an injury crisis and therefore, if Smith and Whittaker get injured or dont turn out to be good enough, we are severley hampered in what are crucial positions to the fluidity of the team.

I see what you are saying stewarty in that if Whittaker and Smith dont turn out to be good enough then we need replacements (in Smiths case Papac would be an able back-up and may even push for 1st choice - it is RB that could pose the problem) - Whittaker played LB solidly when needed and RB is his preferred position so no need to think he couldnt play there - Smith, we all know, has the talent and we just need him to get back to pre-injury form.

However I think that at the moment we DO have natural full backs who can do a good job but what we all know we definitely dont have is the creativity to unlock a defence.

My argument is that we have, IMO, more pressing needs than to get more full backs in. If we get a CB and a creative mid plus a striker and have more cash left then, sure, we should think about full-backs

What is WS transfer funds ?,if rumours are corrcect it's 10mill,if this is true then I don't think it's enough,how many quality players can we get for that ?

Murray surprised me by giving Walter a transfer budget of around �£11m last year after a fairly dismal season, particularly financially.

It will therefore be interesting to see what he does this year. Will he take the same level of risk and spend big? Will he try and steady our financial position by keeping some of the funds generated last year to reduce the debt? Will the �£700m redevelopment plans have any impact on our spending? Somany questions, so few answers (at the moment).

I haven't a clue where Murray is coming from on the spending front, but some of last year's spending was to try and snap up promising Scottish players (Whittaker, Naismith) and perhaps as there isn't the same level of players available this summer, that might keep the purse strings a bit tighter than many would hope.

�£30m earned. Maloney, McFadden, Fletcher. All possible.It's too much to wish for but it fucking well shouldn't be. Gutted.

Are you talking about Darren Fletcher? I know we need a right sided player but Ive gone off him a bit, I dont think he is good enough for Man Utd at all. But he would be ok for us in the SPL.

RANGERS manager Walter Smith looks set to be handed just �£3million to rebuild Rangers this summer.

That's the shock news which will stun the Ibrox club's supporters after a season in which Smith's shoestring side landed the two domestic cups, went within touching distance of winning the SPL title and reached the UEFA Cup Final.

The amazing run to Manchester, plus their adventures in the Champions League, meant Rangers banked more than �£20m from the campaign.

However, I understand Smith has been told there will be no big cheques available to him after he insisted that he was looking for quality rather than quantity this summer.

In the last twelve months, Smith has spent �£11m but has also balanced the transfer budget books by selling Scotland full-back Alan Hutton to Tottenham Hotspur for �£9m halfway through the campaign.

Now, according to chairman Sir David Murray, the same sort of cash will be made available to the Ibrox boss this time around.

Which means, unless he sells some of his best players, Smith will be unable to splash out more than �£3m at the very most.

That sort of fee is already earmarked for Fulham's Northern Ireland midfielder Steve Davis, who has impressed since arriving on loan in January.

However, Smith hopes Fulham still want striker Daniel Cousin, whose January move to Craven Cottage was strangled by FIFA red tape, as that would amount to a straight swap.

But he knows he needs another top-class central defender to partner Carlos Cuellar, as well as another midfielder - with West Brom's Jonathon Greening one player under consideration (see below) - particularly if Brahim Hemdani goes. Smith, though, could be on the brin of spending a chunk of his budget on Scotland striker Kenny Miller who looks set to complete a controversial �£1.9m switch from Derby County this week.

Milller only moved to the East Midlands last August in a �£3m transfer from Celtic.

It is a signing that will not go down well with a section of the Rangers support, who have have been singing derogatory songs about Miller - who played 30 times for the club back in 2000-01 - since the move was mooted. Ideally, Smith wants to bring in another striker to provide even more competition for Miller, Kris Boyd and Jean-Claude Darcheville.

In contrast, Celtic boss Gordon Strachan is set to be given a larger warchest as the Hoops attempt to make it four SPL titles in a row.

They can also bank on another �£10m thanks to their direct entry to the Champions League group stage, meaning boss Strachan doesn't have any early-season qualification clashes for the glamour competition.

�© 2008 Mirror Group Ltd.

People

Isnt that a depressing read!!! Jonathon Greening isnt quality that we are looking for.

We can add the 1 million for Sebo to the list so we're pretty much break even for the season.

I bet Murray is rubbing his hands at the thought of Spurs coming in with 7 million for McGregor!

1.9 million for Miller is disappointing - id pay 1 million max!

And to spend the 3 million from Cousin on Davis isnt like a new player.

At this rate we are doing to be screaming out for central midfielders again.