Gers look to improve defenders contract

^ i know. systematic, irrational, lowering of expectations. profitable for moneymen, even necessary - but we should be the ones demanding high standards and certainly not re-gurgitating the idea that were are now completely out of average players league though thoughtlessly.

Aye it's great to be a bear. The King knows it. Unfortunately so did Alan Hutton. Heartbreak is never too far away while SDM gradually recoups his �£50 mil and makes the club more attractive to potential buyers:ffs:

Cotter, can you explain how SDM is gradually recouping his �£50M? I can't seem to find it in the published accounts...

i see it that way as well Cal. Where has all the money gone that we have errand over the last few years.

The thing is the income from Europe is just income, not profit. There are increased expenses for the club, not least bonus payments to the players, and then there are costs of hosting a game at Ibrox with security etc as well as travel costs for the away games.

It would be interesting to know what the net profit is and maybe the club should publish such information so as the fans are not too disappointed when we don't spend 30M.

You also have to remember that when you sell a player there are sometimes sweeteners for the player and a fee to pay to the agent. When you sign a player there is his signing on fee and the agent fee as well as wages and bonuses to take into account. So if you sell a player for 8M and buy three for 6M you are probably lucky to break even.

The point with the accounts is that all the money is accounted for, we spent more than we earned last year and so have to pay some of that back this year if we don't want to have dangerously high debt with the interest that attracts.

I just can't see how there is any dosh left over for SDM to siphon off. I believe SDM has made money out of Rangers over the years, but I can't see where he has taken a penny from the club directly - he doesn't even take a salary, and most chairmen take at least 6 figures.

He has made money out of Rangers by contracting and subcontracting work and services to his own companies as well as selling off a few assets.

However, his 50M investment probably negates a lot of that and if he sells the club he'll probably get less than what he paid for the equity. In the end he should be quids in - although not massively, but he will have given work and services for it.

He could have made quite a bit out of Rangers had he not spent so much under Advocaat but to be fair to him, he admitted his mistake and paid up for it.

I'm not a big SDM fan - in fact I've slagged him off more than most, but I don't agree with demonising him about stuff he doesn't appear to be doing.

Rangers, like any club, have books to balance and despite what fans think, do not have huge amounts they can sustainably spend on players. That's also why you don't see Celtic massively outspending us.

We spend 12.5M last season out of a turnover of 44M - that's pretty amazing. And we brought our debt up to about 25M which is pretty worrying. However when you look at that you can see why we chose to sell players to balance things.

Basically in an average season and without selling players we pretty much break even - and so realistically have NO money to spend on players.

In an exceptional season in Europe like the last one, we make more money, but the net profit is far less than you think and the same goes for selling a few players.

The Euro run and Hutton money have made a huge difference this year and will allow us to spend while possibly reducing the debt - which obviously has to be done.

When you have debt you have to try and repay some of it every season. When you buy players today on tomorrows money then it obviously means you will have to buy less tomorrow.

The amount of spending we've been doing under Walter CANNOT be maintained. We are treating his first two seasons as exceptional where it is imperative he builds a successful team.

Once he has one, it will be back to tweaks, player turnover and the odd big signing - probably when we sell someone for a big profit or have a good year in Europe.

That's why Murray park will be so important: not only will it hopefully be supplying us with good squad players, it will hopefully provide the odd Hutton that we can sell to use the money to bring in high quality players from outside.

So while SDM is probably trying to make Rangers into a more attractive buying proposition, rather than skimming money off the accounts, he seems to be trying to get a successful team on the pitch again. And that has been proven this year, to bring in lots more money.

I'd be genuinely delighted if we can keep CC and offering him a new contract is a signal that we want to do so - even if it's to remove the alleged �£10m minimum fee clause from his current one.

Unfortunately, if we're to spend more money this summer (on top of the �£6million already spent) I still think one of Cuellar or McGregor (more likely) will leave.

To be honest, if that's the choice, I would opt to keep CC AND McG. and spend no more than we already have. What would it cost us to replace McGregor? Alexander is a fine back-up, no more. So really we'd have no net spend anyway.

To be honest, if that's the choice, I would opt to keep CC AND McG. and spend no more than we already have. What would it cost us to replace McGregor? Alexander is a fine back-up, no more. So really we'd have no net spend anyway.

I think most of us would have said the same about AM 18 months ago mate and he's developed into a fine goalie. Alexander could do the same IMO.

We still need to spend more on the team and while I want CC/AM to stay, I'll be understanding if we sell one (preferably AM for me) in order to bring in another couple of players.

Yesterday I said id never seen such an improvement in a player as Hutton - I still havent. But McGregor has came on leaps and bounds aswell and if he had another season like last then we would be looking at 10 million for him.

Id like Carlos to stay more than McGregor but not by that much.