DEAN FURMAN has challenged himself to become a first-team regular after making his Rangers debut towards the end of last season.

The South African has made steady progress since joining the club as Paul Le Guen's first signing two summers ago.

In his first campaign, he made an immediate impact and led Billy Kirkwood's under-19s to a league and Youth Cup double as the side's captain.

Last term he stepped up to the reserves and after a solid term skippering them, he was rewarded with his first top-team outing seven weeks ago.

Coming on as a substitute for Kevin Thomson in the 3-1 win over Dundee United at Ibrox, Furman held his own in a 38-minute appearance against the Arabs.

Having had a taste of big-match action, the likeable 20-year-old wants much more of the same in the months ahead after the new term gets underway.

Furman said: "It was an unbelievable experience for me to come on against United and I loved every single minute of it.

"It came as a big surprise to get on but Thommo got injured and there weren't really any other midfielders on the bench. To get the shout was great and I was really buzzing.

"I was very thankful to the gaffer for giving me my chance. He showed a bit of faith in me in what was a pressure situation.

"I feel I handled myself quite well but now I know I to get my head down and keep working hard if I'm going to get another opportunity.

"That's what I want and it is up to me to try to do well in our reserve matches and when I'm training with the first team. I've got to be on top of my game all the time.

"I need to impress the manager so that if I get another game, I'll be ready to make the most of it."

Furman made a positive impact on the Ibrox coaching staff and fans alike against Craig Levein's side but he refuses to take continued development for granted.

He added: "The manager said he was happy with me and he gave me some good feedback.

"The main thing now is that I come back for the new season and really try to kick on further.

"I'd like to think the game with United was just the start of things for me but it is up to me to make sure that's the case and to keep progressing.

"I'm still a young boy who is trying to break through but my target is to become someone who competes for a place in the team. That would be very pleasing.

"Before I came here, I'd never won a trophy but we got the league and the Youth Cup in my first season.

"I was then involved in the squad that won the Scottish Cup last season. It has made me hungry to play more of a part in things like that from now on."

Not seen to much of him other than the Utd game but there has only ever been good things said about him and his attitude.

I'd love the likes of Furman and Fleck to feature a bit more, despite their ages. Weather WS will do that or not, I dont know. He doesnt really have the best track record giving youth a chance.

Durrant is probably the most glaring example, but Im certain that it was Sounedd who saw the potential there and gave him his start and made him a regular.

As I said, we have the possibility of th=wo gems there and they really need a chance.

There was mention today of him and Lennon going on loan next season to get first team action, so I think that could be a good move for them both, so long as they come back and then get a decent crack at the first team.

Would Partick really be a good move with the state of their pitch ? Perhaps as they would need to be more focussed to control the ball and Thistle do play a nice brand of football, right ?

Personally id like to see them both stay and get action for us next season along with Fleck. Lennon could possibly go out on a 3 or 6 month loan but Furman could come in handy for our midfield (or lack of it).

If Fleck is good enough then he is old enough.

IMO we can't afford to send the likes of Furman out on loan this season as he's one of the few under 21's we have in the first team squad who can do a job for us. Because of the SPL under 21 rule I'd expect to see Lafferty in the squad for every SPL game, with the other 2 places taken by a rotation of Furman, Fleck and Lennon (unless we sign any other youngsters that is). One thing that does concern me slightly about Fleck is that with us having so many forwards ATM and Lafferty more than likely getting the nod ahead of him, his opportunities could be very limited this season. Could be an idea to send him out on loan. Unless he's happier to stick with the under 19's and reserve set-up that is.