Agreed Pete, its all about how good a level the player is.

Kenny Deuchar scored shit loads in the lower leagues but couldnt but it as he moved up. When he was in the 3rd and 2nd divisions you didnt see anyone in the SPL come in for him.

Yes that is why Manchester can't wait to pair him up with Rooney.

Real want to pair him up with RvN.

Chelsea with Drogba.

etc,etc, etc.

Every team in the world must want such a goal machine. i would think.

Och well i suppose Cardiff are world top and would team him up with Thomson.

Shit we would have just given away the best strikers in the world.:rolleyes:

What you on about Pete ?

Are you saying that Boyd wouldn't score for fun in the SPL in a 4-4-2 ? If you are then all you need to do is look at his scoring record and you will see he has already proven it.

Just where have I stated that he is a player that Man U, Real Or Chelsea would want ?

Perhaps look at my post again and see what it was in reference to. It was in reference to keeping either Boyd or Cousin, not whether Boyd is a world beater.

It is funny that anyone who dislikes Boys will ignore his goalscoring exploits and jump on the back of any post which suggests he can score goals.

Now.... if we are back on topic regarding my post (which is Cousin v Boyd - just to remind you Pete, I know your memory must be fading at your advanced years :fish: ) ...... do you see Cousin being chased by Man U, Chelsea or Real ?? NO. So why use them in your post ?

Okay going on the assumption that it is goals that are so important. Wayne Rooney's stats are: Played 266 sub(47) goals 94. Kris Boyd has scored 71 at Rangers alone and 68 with Kilmarnock. That must make him far more valuable than Rooney.

All those garbage managers(including AF) at all those big clubs are seeing this wrong. Boyd is worth 70mil not Ronaldo.:rolleyes:

Fair enough Pete - you don't think goals are important. I guess we should play out the season for 0-0 draws should we ? Looking forward to the relegation battle with you at the helm.

Pete.... I dont understand what you are suggesting above. Are you saying that we should be looking at signing player's of Rooney's quality ? Are you going to pay for him to come here because SDM sure isnt !

Coparing Wayne Rooney with Boyd isnt a good comparison IMO. We are in a completely different league when it comes to our squad and you know it as well as I do.

You have to get the best players you can for the budget you have. We have the most lethal goalscorer in Scotland - proven. Would you rather have paid 5 mill for JVoH than have Boyd for 400k ? I know what my answer is.

Agreed Pete, its all about how good a level the player is.

Kenny Deuchar scored shit loads in the lower leagues but couldnt but it as he moved up. When he was in the 3rd and 2nd divisions you didnt see anyone in the SPL come in for him.

Fair enough Gribz..... but Boyd has scored shit loads in the SPL for both Killie and Rangers. He is a proven goalscorer. Sure he may not be a proven European scorer but WS played a different team in Europe and Boyd was dropped - so why not play him where we KNOW he will score goals and have someone else who can do the business in Europe (not that he has had much chance in Europe either !!)?

And what is it that we expect of our team each and every year ? To win the SPL. Where does Boyd score a shit load of goals ? The SPL. To me it seems like he has proven he can score for fun in the one competition we demand we win each year. But then, with goals not being important (right Pete ?) then we should probably get rid of the one guy who has consistently proven he can score in that same competition.

I am sure you will use the "we havent won the SPL whilst Boyd has been at Rangers" argument - but you know what ? He doesn't make the team on his own - we all know that until WS came in we had a team AND a squad that was, quite frankly, pish. If it wasn't for Boyd's goals we could have struggled to make Europe, let alone the CL.

Lets not also forget that we didn't win the SPL last year..... that would be the season in which Boyd was used very sparingly yet still was our top goalscorer.

Waw all that for picking up on one sentence in a post you made and the remark was not really aimed at you but in general at the Boyd will be great in a 4-4-2.

To be honest i am tired of trying to explain why i, why AF, why any top manager will never buy Boyd. Football has passed on from the days where you stick a guy on the goal line and hope he scores. A good modern day striker is the first line of defence,can drop into midfield if the midfield make forward runs and makes as many assists as he makes goals. In modern football it is very important that if the forwards get the ball they can hold onto it. At the speed of today's game, it is just as dangerous when a striker loses the ball as say a left back.

I would rather see 6 players scoring 15 goals than one player 25 goals.

Putting it into crazy proportions lets say Kris Boyd scores 3 goals every game but through him not being able to control and hold up a ball we lose every game 4-3. At the end of the season he has scored 120 goals but that does not reflect the damage he has cost at the other end.

Of course goals are important but it does not reflect the total importance to the team or results is the point i am trying to make.

Very few teams play a 4-4-2 these days do we have to do that just to accommodate Kris Boyd? Yes we should keep him, but only as a super sub. No more no less.

If we had anywhere near 6 players who could score 15 goals a season even I would sell Boyd, unless he was one of them of course :)

In the past we have had more than one striker taking the burden of scoring goals but we don't have that anymore, nor do we have many midfielders helping the cause getting their share of goals......Boyd is our only striker scoring goals regularly since he's been here.

Waw all that for picking up on one sentence in a post you made and the remark was not really aimed at you but in general at the Boyd will be great in a 4-4-2.

To be honest i am tired of trying to explain why i, why AF, why any top manager will never buy Boyd. Football has passed on from the days where you stick a guy on the goal line and hope he scores. A good modern day striker is the first line of defence,can drop into midfield if the midfield make forward runs and makes as many assists as he makes goals. In modern football it is very important that if the forwards get the ball they can hold onto it. At the speed of today's game, it is just as dangerous when a striker loses the ball as say a left back.

Putting it into crazy proportions lets say Kris Boyd scores 3 goals every game but through him not being able to control and hold up a ball we lose every game 4-3. At the end of the season he has scored 120 goals but that does not reflect the damage he has cost at the other end.

Of course goals are important but it does not reflect the total importance to the team or results is the point i am trying to make.

Very few teams play a 4-4-2 these days do we have to do that just to accommodate Kris Boyd? Yes we should keep him, but only as a super sub. No more no less.

Who said Boyd would be great in a 4-4-2 ? He WILL score goals for fun in a 4-4-2, doesn't mean he will be great though. On his other contribution to the team we agree, he doesn't bring much.

Another thing you mention is him losing the ball and being dangerous to the defence - with a 4-5-1 if him losing the ball is dangerous then shame on the 5 in midfield who could be covering. And, in fact, that is one aspect of his game which I felt was improving.... NOT huim losing the ball but in him showing a desire to put defenders under pressure after he DID lose the ball.

I disagree about good modern day strikers dropping into the midfield - I don't think they are necessary strikers, they are players who can score goals but are equally adept at creating - Rooney does it very well for Man U, but can we really get that type of player at Ibrox ? Adebayor doesn't drop deep much for Arsenal so we shouldn't want him at Ibrox as he just scores goals too ? Most of Torres' good work is inside the box too (although he is more than just a penalty box striker) so we shouldn't want him either ?

As johnny said, if we had other players capable of giving us 15 goals a season then Boyd wouldn't be a big miss - can you name any of our current squad who can give us 15 a season outside of Boyd, JCD (if fit) and Cousin (if interested) ?

Can you name a player in our squad who can score PLUS create a total of 25 goals a season (I agree with you that TOTAL goals - scored plus assists - is as important, if not more so, than just scoring) ? I can't.

All I am saying is that Boyd WILL score goals in the SPL if deployed in a 4-4-2 - he could even do so in a 4-5-1 IF we played the ball on the deck and used proper wingers. The high punt up front will NEVER suit Boyd - playing the ball on the deck to wingers who can beat a man and get the ball in the box would suit Boyd perfectly IMO.

On the one hand folk moan about Kenny Miller because he doesn't score enough goals then they moan about Boyd because that's all he does. If Walter starts the season with Miller and Boyd up front, I think we have the potential there to have the best partnership since McCoist and Hateley.

On the one hand folk moan about Kenny Miller because he doesn't score enough goals then they moan about Boyd because that's all he does. If Walter starts the season with Miller and Boyd up front, I think we have the potential there to have the best partnership since McCoist and Hateley.

I had a feeling that Miller was bought with the intent on him partnering Boyd up front. Miller doing all the donkey work and Boyd sticking it in the net may just work.

However, I still feel for a striker that Miller needs to increase his scoring ratio.