Rangers' Loovens bid hits glitch-Boyd offered up

Glenn Loovens is a target for Rangers

Rangers want Loovens to bolster their central defence

Rangers appear to have hit a stumbling block in their attempts to sign Cardiff City defender Glenn Loovens.

BBC Scotland has learned that the Ibrox club are prepared to offer striker Kris Boyd as part of the deal to bring the Dutchman to Glasgow.

In addition, Rangers want Cardiff to pay them �£800,000 to balance the deal.

However, Cardiff have rejected the bid as the Championship side believe it is Rangers and not they who should be making the extra payment.

Manager Walter Smith has added Kenny Miller, Andrius Velicka and Kyle Lafferty to the current pool of strikers comprising Jean-Claude Darcheville, Daniel Cousin, Nacho Novo and Boyd.

Fulham's interest in Cousin appears to have ended, leaving Rangers keen to sell one or two strikers in order to help finance other deals.

Boyd voiced concerns at the end of last season that he wasn't being given enough opportunities to play for the first team.

The Scottish international was then the subject of a �£2.5 million bid from Cardiff last month, which Rangers rejected.

Despite Rangers and David Weir agreeing a deal to keep the veteran defender at Ibrox for another season, Smith is keen to add another central defender to the squad.

Loovens has been capped at under-21 level by the Netherlands and starred for Cardiff in the FA Cup final in May.

He signed a three-year deal in May 2006, having been on loan from Feyenoord the previous season.

Loovens, 24, will be entering the final year of his contract with the Bluebirds and this is likely to be weighing on Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale's mind in his dealings with interested clubs.

Rangers seem to have offered Boyd up to meet the price.

The money doesn't even add up though does it? Just when you look at everyone's rough values and what we rejected for Boyd earlier on.

Bizarre.

I just can't believe Cousin is still getting a game for us ahead of all the other strikers after his behaviour last season.

Definitely on suicide watch.:)

Either that he is building up Hadrian's wall so its Boyd proof!!!

Its Cousins attitude that concerns me though if he is staying on. I dont doubt his ability one bit. If he is a reformed character then he must stay and play but if not he has to go. The fact he head butted one player then went for Wilkie in the very next was the mark for me. You can let a player off with that once but to do it in the next game was crazyness.

Shocking if Cousin remains at our club ahead of Boyd.

Agreed.

I think we all share the opinion that Boyd needs to improve but if he's sold I'd be very disappointed - especially to just to make up the cash on a Championship defender...