WALTER SMITH has announced that Davie Weir will lead Rangers into the new campaign.

The 38-year-old centre back who is such an influence will be captain while Barry Ferguson recovers from the ankle surgery he had last Monday.

And Smith says he is a deserving candidate for the way he has managed to keep himself in such fantastic shape.

He said: "David Weir will captain the team while Barry Ferguson is injured. He has done it before.

"David was a big part of our major success last season. It is not an easy decision for any manager to make or even talk about when it comes to a player's age but he deserves tremendous credit.

"Initially we signed him for a year and he did really well for us but it is starting to come into the equation when you get to 38.

"Paolo Maldini is 40, was going to retire and then changed his mind so you have to compliment these guys for the discipline and professionalism.

"Good luck to all of these guys but nobody deserves it more than big Davie for the way he conducts himself.

"I have not come across a more honest professional. He is a great man but he has a lot about him as well; he does not like losing."

I dont like this decision for a few reasons.

1) It should be Carlos hands down.

2) Is this saying Weir will be a first choice start next season? If thats the case why we searching for a centre half.

3) He is 38 and hardly a solution, surely it should be given to Carlos or Thomson etc so they can take it after Ferguson moves on.

4) Weir was close to leaving the club a few weeks ago, does WS feel Weir is more important than younger members of the squad who are on long term deals?

5) Comparing Weir and Maldini is a laugh.

6) It shows you need to be ULTRA experienced (old) in WS's book before playing and captaining.

Im not getting at Weir, he will be great back up next season and on his day he would be a good captain but that would have been 5-10 years ago.

WALTER SMITH has announced that Davie Weir will lead Rangers into the new campaign.

The 38-year-old centre back who is such an influence will be captain while Barry Ferguson recovers from the ankle surgery he had last Monday.

And Smith says he is a deserving candidate for the way he has managed to keep himself in such fantastic shape.

He said: "David Weir will captain the team while Barry Ferguson is injured. He has done it before.

"David was a big part of our major success last season. It is not an easy decision for any manager to make or even talk about when it comes to a player's age but he deserves tremendous credit.

"Initially we signed him for a year and he did really well for us but it is starting to come into the equation when you get to 38.

"Paolo Maldini is 40, was going to retire and then changed his mind so you have to compliment these guys for the discipline and professionalism.

"Good luck to all of these guys but nobody deserves it more than big Davie for the way he conducts himself.

"I have not come across a more honest professional. He is a great man but he has a lot about him as well; he does not like losing."

Another dubious decision by Smith, who seems determined to bodyswerve whatever the fans would want. Surely Cuellar would have been the obvious choice for captain - guaranteed to be there every match and clearly respected by the entire playing staff. It seems this is more about Smith appeasing Ferguson by not appointing someone that many fans would actually prefer to the current club captain on a permanent basis.

Instead of focussing on the oldest players on the books, I just wish Smith would spend more time figuring out why he has never been able to develop new young talent at any of his clubs.

I dont like this decision for a few reasons.

1) It should be Carlos hands down.

2) Is this saying Weir will be a first choice start next season? If thats the case why we searching for a centre half.

3) He is 38 and hardly a solution, surely it should be given to Carlos or Thomson etc so they can take it after Ferguson moves on.

4) Weir was close to leaving the club a few weeks ago, does WS feel Weir is more important than younger members of the squad who are on long term deals?

5) Comparing Weir and Maldini is a laugh.

6) It shows you need to be ULTRA experienced (old) in WS's book before playing and captaining.

Im not getting at Weir, he will be great back up next season and on his day he would be a good captain but that would have been 5-10 years ago.

Agree 100% especially points 1-4.

More worryingly, does this mean Carlos may still be offered up for sale a la Hutton? Could that be what's behind the courting of Loovens, a poor man's Carlos?

More worryingly, does this mean Carlos may still be offered up for sale a la Hutton? Could that be what's behind the courting of Loovens, a poor man's Carlos?

I left that point out on purpose but it did cross my mind.

Guest modman

i think it only shows that weir and walter are good auld friends or maybe its to build his spirits up for one more good season from him, there are plenty of other player more worthy or merrit the captains armband king carlos easily is up at the top of that list. i am sure walter has his plans

75859454smallgo3.jpg

If Weir plays anywhere near the standard he did last season I will be very happy to see him as captain. The SPL will be fine but in Europe he might get caught out but a good choice IMO.

I'm sure Carlos is just happy to get on with his football and keep playing at the level he showed last season which was very high. Maybe he didn't want the pressure or responsibilty of being captain who knows. Weir is the most experienced and has helped Carlos settle in fine so I am happy with that as I'm sure the rest of the players are.

I would say Cuellar should have got it, but Weir is a seasoned pro. He knows what is what and if it isn't Carlos, the Big Dave is a good pick.

But does this point to the obvious scenario that Cuellar is offski?