With the start of the new season galloping over the horizon, the title of this article should actually read, Read! We Better Be. We have a very tough start to the season both in the CL and the SPL. Kaunas arrive at Ibrox on Wednesday evening and present themselves as the first hurdle in our race to reach the Champions League group stages. They will be a very tough proposition and we�ll need to be at our best to overcome the Lithuanian champions over two legs.

The fixture list and injury curse could have been kinder to us as we enter the season without the injured Barry Ferguson and are without Carlos and Beasley for the first leg on Wednesday. Worryingly, there is a doubt over Kevin Thompson for Wednesday so we are VERY short of options for the central midfield role that is essential to our chances. Lee McCulloch is also a doubt but the official website states that both ââ?¬Ë?shouldââ?¬â?¢ be ready for the game.

Looking beyond the CL qualifier (if we dare), we have a very hard start to the SPL race with only one home game in the opening four and with visits to Falkirk, Abergreen and Celtc ââ?¬â?? the SPL couldnââ?¬â?¢t have given us a harder opening if they had tried.

Reflecting on the abysmal end to last season and the scarce additions to the squad, it is hard to find any evidence that points to us being a decent shape for the obstacles we face in the next 4-5 weeks. We are at least 5 players short in my opinion especially in the full back and creative midfield positions. It doesn�t look like these glaring gaps are going to be addressed or filled prior to the start of the season and we�ll just have to go with what resources we currently have starting on Wednesday.

Even given WS splashing all of his apparent transfer budget on strikers, it is hard to see him deviating from his preferred 4-5-1 formation or his ultra-cautious approach especially in European ties. Given this, it looks like the tried and tested formation and personnel on Wednesday and I believe the team will line up as follows :

McGregor

Whittikar

Daily

Weir

Papac

Novo

Hendami

Thompson

Adam

McCulloch

And pick one from the numerous strikers WS has at his disposal (if pushed, I think he�ll plump for Cousin).

Personally, I wouldn�t play McGregor in goal as he has looked rusty in pre-season and doesn�t look back to his best. I can also see WS playing Broadfoot alongside Weir, pushing Daily into midfield and dropping Adam to the bench. I would play Lafferty out wide left as we are at home and have to take an (large) advantage to Lithuanian. So my starting 11 would be :

Alexander

SW

Daily

Weir

Papac

Novo

Hendami

Thommo

Adam

Lafferty

And again, pick one of the many strikers to play the lone front man ââ?¬â?? if pushed, Iââ?¬â?¢d also go for Cousin with JCD a close 2nd.

All in all, it will be a nail-biting start to the season and the opening fixtures will go along way in deciding how successful (or otherwise) season 2008 ââ?¬â?? 2009 will be. Winning the league is a MUST, nothing can detract from this fact ââ?¬â?? we simply canââ?¬â?¢t let them win the league again. So are we ready? Well only time, results and performances will tell. We have to hit the ground running.

Cammy F :rfc:

Agree with Cammy's 11 rather than what he thinks is Ws's. with the following exceptions: Broadfoot at CB in place of Dailly (that's his position) and Velicka up front in place of Cousin - he knows all about Kaunas and is fullt match fit.

But, you're right - there's no room for slip-ups. 1-0 would be a great result.

Personally, I wouldn�t play McGregor in goal as he has looked rusty in pre-season and doesn�t look back to his best.

Are you mad? :ffs:

McGregor is without a shadow of a doubt our best keeper and should play. He's not even been out 6 months and like most the team it's to be expected that he won't be on top form at this stage of the season. After only a handful of friendlies I don't think Alexander will have much of a head start over McGregor in terms of fitness. He's hardly had a pre-season to 'look rusty' in, but then the same could be said for Adam, Hemdani & Lafferty.

Are you mad? :ffs:

McGregor is without a shadow of a doubt our best keeper and should play. He's not even been out 6 months and like most the team it's to be expected that he won't be on top form at this stage of the season. After only a handful of friendlies I don't think Alexander will have much of a head start over McGregor in terms of fitness. He's hardly had a pre-season to 'look rusty' in, but then the same could be said for Adam, Hemdani & Lafferty.

I didn't see the McGregor blunder but i was totally not impressed with Alexander pre-season. McGregor may be rusty but he is still our best keeper.

I agree with UCF on this one.

I agree McGregor should also start. If he was out the team due to a dip in form then yes he would have to win his shirt back but at the start of a season the message for the team should be that our strongest players will play.

I can see WS going with somethig near Cammys first XI except I can see Broadfoot at RB with Whittaker in midfield in place of Novo. Thats certainly not a move id make.

Its a tough one to pick but my team would be:

McGregor

Whittaker

Dailly

Weir

Papac

Novo

Hemdani

Thomson

McCulloch

Velicka

Cousin

Interesting read Cammy but I don't think we're 5 players short.

Sure, the loss of Cuellar, Ferguson and Beasley (not to mention Naismith and Burke) is important so we should have replaced the first two especially by now.

However, I think Smith will still play an attacking team on Wednesday - most probably a 4-3-3 - as there is no way he can justify his current signings otherwise.

Thus:

____________________McGregor___________________

Whittaker_____Broadfoot_________Weir_________Papac

________Hemdani______Adam______Thomson________

Novo_________________Boyd________________Lafferty

:)

I like the look of that and agree with you Frankie. My concern is Adam in the centre, but we have little choice given the curent situation.

Id like to see Velicka and Boyd up front but then the system comes into it again.

When is Naismith due back? I watched the Stuttgart game again last night and really thought he impressed and was just coming into it and featuring more. Beasley also impressed in thagt game, even though Ive always thought he was a little lightweight.

I like the look of that and agree with you Frankie. My concern is Adam in the centre, but we have little choice given the curent situation.

Id like to see Velicka and Boyd up front but then the system comes into it again.

When is Naismith due back? I watched the Stuttgart game again last night and really thought he impressed and was just coming into it and featuring more. Beasley also impressed in thagt game, even though Ive always thought he was a little lightweight.

Naismith is out for almost the season Jon. Im sure it was originally a 12 month injury which was 2 months ago now.

Once Beasley and Cuellar are back it makes us look stronger but we have to get a replacement for Ferguson

Can't believe 2 of you have picked Cousin. The guy is a disgrace and should never play for the club again

I agree that he shouldnt ferature, if he played though, I would have to show support I guess. Definitely not my choice to play him ahead of the others though.