carlos cuellar - good bit of business?

walter smith brought cuellar to ibrox and has now (presumably) sanctioned his departure.

he's been one of the best players we've had in modern times, and i'm glad to have seen him in a rangers top.

given that we're not in europe, though, you'll probably not need defenders as good as he is for the spl.

if we do get any of the money from this, and get a midfielder, it may be the thing that wins us the league?

grasping at straws loyal

Business wise if you look at it in a way to make money then of course its a good bit of business for the shareholders. If we could get players in on the cheap and sell them on for huge profits a year later then its a good way to gain additional revenue.

But for me football is a different business (or should be) and Rangers shouldnt be a selling club and have to rely on this type of things. Carlos seemed a genuine guy who wore the shirt with pride unlike Boumsong or even Cousin.

We desperately need to sign 2 midfielders. I am not holding my breath for any promising signings. Just last week after the management met with the fans (or them by invite) we were told 2 creative midfielders were the target. Yet we were also told Carlos wasnt for sale.

The question then bares who do we realistically want to sign. Id like to see us get Davis plus the guy from PSV - Vayrynen, plus id be happy with Lovenkrands coming back. But if we did get these attack minded players id still expect a flat formation and these guys to be benchwarmers. Basically Im losing faith a bit in the management and Ive been one who has been backing them.

As Rangers don't tend to pay dividends, no sale of a player is good for shareholders.

SDM owns 91% of the shares and so talk of shareholders is a bit moot in any case.

If he thought that being fiscally tight was the best way to increase the value of his shares he wouldn't have sanctioned the 20M budget that WS has had to spend. He realises that the best way to increase the value of Rangers FC is to have a successful team on the pitch, winning the league and playing the CL every year, while of course, not letting spending go out of control.

To that end, selling Cuellar would not be good for the shareholders unless the money was used to improve the team to a better level than it was with him in it.

Cuellar was our best player and the rock around which the team should have been built for this season.

He's now gone and while Bougherra may be a decent replacement, he'll take time to bed in and his partner alongside him won't be of the highest quality.

The ONLY way the CC transfer will benefit us is if we sign another defender and another quality creative player. Loovens I'd accept. Davis at a push as well. That still leaves one more player after them IMO.

Frankie, given the money that we got for hutton and what we raked in last seson, is it inconceivable that we could infact afford to keep cuellar and buy 2 decent midfielders?

or are you happy with the likes of Daily and weir being the mainstays of our team this season.

Frankie, given the money that we got for hutton and what we raked in last seson, is it inconceivable that we could infact afford to keep cuellar and buy 2 decent midfielders?

or are you happy with the likes of Daily and weir being the mainstays of our team this season.

Mate:

Nobody can say for sure until the finances are released - should be in the next 14 days.

However, I think it's a safe bet that we didn't make as much money as many people said we did last season (in terms of real profit).

Give or take a few million, I'd make the following empirical conclusions:

1. The �£10million Hutton money paid for the transfers of last summer.

2. The profit from the Euro runs paid for the transfers so far this summer.

That leaves us still around �£15million in debt - possibly a bit lower.

Obviously if we had qualified for the CL Group Stage, that figure would have again helped us break even for next summer. Without European football we'll be making a substantial loss.

As such, an asset was always going to leave. Especially since we've been unable to move on ANY fringe players (Cousin, JCD, Hemdani, Boyd etc) for any cash.

Now, the chairman is now on record saying any monies brought in for CC would be invested back into the team. I'm puzzled how he intends to do this without plunging the club further into debt.

I can't answer that until the end of this month.

I don't have a problem with us doing this sort of business, where we either sell on a player who has come through the ranks or someone our scouting network has enabled us to buy "on the cheap". But what's the point if:

1. The money doesn't get reinvested in the team.

2. The player in question only stays here for a season at the most.

3. The player & club aren't honest and upfront about their intentions.

That's why I have a problem with the Cuellar situation.

Ascender:

I agree with that. Many fans, including myself, have advocated our club using an Ajax model so we can develop young players and sell them on (at the right time for us) to keep the club competitive.

As such, selling players will happen - even key players. However, like you say, if this is being done, the board should be open about it and we should be doing much more to ensure any transfers result in the minimum disruption to the team.

That is not happening so everyone - from CC, SDM, MB and WS - deserves criticism.