According to Spiers he is on the way.

Rangers will attempt to prise James McFadden from Birmingham City as Walter Smith, the manager, and Sir David Murray, the chairman, set about restoring confidence at Ibrox after the abrupt sale of Carlos Cu�©llar to Aston Villa.

Last night Smith was said to be closing in on McFadden, who is still intent on leaving Birmingham since their relegation from the Barclays Premier League last season. Glenn Loovens, the Cardiff City defender, Steven Davis, the Fulham midfield player, and Mark Bresciano, the Palermo midfield player, are also being pursued by Rangers

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article4526438.ece

If we were to get all 4 of those players then I think we would actually have a very strong squad and it would definitely soften the blow of losing Carlos.

However, I have high doubts that we will sign all 4 and would be surprised if we get more than two of them (even two might be a push).

Like Craig i highly doubt we will get all those players, although just 2 of them would be good.

Been so pissed off since Monday's shite.... you gotta admire Murray for trying! (oh wait, no you dont)

Of all 4 of those people im most confident in getting Loovens, but i dunno the Palermo guy, think ive heard the name.

McFadden would be quite the coup i must admit. Lots of people on here are indifferent to the boy but i think he'd do a good job for us.

Not spoke to him or my dad, will give my old man a phone later on but i very much doubt we could afford him. We'd have to go close to 10 million to get him regardless of whether he wants away or not. His words were

'someone would have to double what we paid for him'

We dont have that money

If true, why spend that much money on ANOTHER STRIKER who isn't a prolific goalscorer?

He has a bit of craft and the odd big goal in him, but there is no way we should be even contenplating spending 6 million plus on a player we clearly don't need.

Sebastian Larsson( ex Arsenal ) their right sided midfielder also wants away. He would be a much better option and would give us far more value for money.

We have no room for him up front. If we could swap Cousin and Darcheville for him then fine, but I'm far more interested in midfielders and Loovens at the moment.

Actually, I think both those strikers could do a pretty good job for Birmingham under Eck, but both are probably eying the Prem or French league.