Question on the Cuellar "clause"

Would such a clause include the payment terms?

I would have thought it unlikely and would expect for the clause to be activated the full amount would be payable.

Why then is only half the Cuellar fee payable now and half in 12 months? Very suspicious.

Why did we have to accept the first offer that came in anyway?

The amount met the terms of the clause...

If Celtic offered the ââ??¬10million, we'd have to have accept the offer.

Why did we have to accept the first offer that came in anyway?

Story on the radio was that Liverpool came in after Villa. By the time they made a bid, Cuellar had already signed for Villa at �£15,000 a week more than Liverpool offered.

Don't know how much truth there is in that one though. :moon:

Maybe the terms just have to be considered reasonable? I think two installments sounds pretty normal from what I've read in the past.

Contracts tend not to be based on "reasonableness". Too messy, as one person's expectations can be different from another's.

The amount met the terms of the clause...

If Celtic offered the ââ??¬10million, we'd have to have accept the offer.

I would have thought that it was the starting point for other clubs offering a similar amount or more.

It was up to Cuellar to chose to go if any club triggered the clause. If one club offer €10M and another offered €20, if he chose the first one, that's what we'd have to accept due to the clause in the contract.

That's probably why the clause is there as it allows the player more power in choosing where he wants to go as well as stopping a club from asking for silly money.

No-one could have expected Cuellar to be worth more than �£8M after signing for �£2.4M. A higher figure would surely have put Cuellar off signing on the dotted line as it would have been disproportionate?