Gow Rejects Move

Guest lazyscot

It may sound like I am defending Gow to the hilt but I'm not but I can also see where he is coming from.

Just because you can see where someone is coming from, doesn't mean you have to agree with them or admire them for it.

A wife is supposed to be due half the joint family fortunes when they divorce so you can probably see where Heather Mills was coming from, does mean you have to agree with her.

Taking easy money instead of progressing your career is easy to empathise with but it's not admirable especially by those who would love to have that talent and put it to use.

There is always a gap between what you are entitled to do and what others think is "right".

Looking after yourself at all costs is all well and good, but it can also be seen as being selfish or lacking in other qualities such as ambition. Gow is showing both IMO.

Just because you can see where someone is coming from, doesn't mean you have to agree with them or admire them for it.

A wife is supposed to be due half the joint family fortunes when they divorce so you can probably see where Heather Mills was coming from, does mean you have to agree with her.

Taking easy money instead of progressing your career is easy to empathise with but it's not admirable especially by those who would love to have that talent and put it to use.

There is always a gap between what you are entitled to do and what others think is "right".

Looking after yourself at all costs is all well and good, but it can also be seen as being selfish or lacking in other qualities such as ambition. Gow is showing both IMO.

Fair enough buy until I was in that situation I don't know what I would do TBO. Take easy money for doing virtually nothing apart from keeping fit or go get a first team game at a much lower level club for much less money. He's not the first and won't be the last to do this. Maybe he has no ambition to move or just can't be arsed.

It's been said that he was offered the same money elsehwhere; however, I know people personally that have taken massive pay cuts to change the direction of their careers - and I don't mean a pay cut down to a measly 200K a year, I'm talking from 50K to 17K.

The strange thing is that he does not seem to be doing himself any good, including financially in the long term which is not understandable at all.

Is it not better for your career and future finances to play first team football for Bradford for the same money and either make a name for yourself there or play for a bigger move? If he is as good as he thinks, then surely the minimum he can expect is to play for a good few years on that money.

However, by playing for Rangers reserves for two years would probably leave him on a Bosman but only attractive to the likes of a lower SPL team on about 2-3 grand a week - and maybe less due to not being seen on a pitch for years. Not only that, he'll be perceived as having an attitude problem and difficult to deal with.

He will probably end up with LESS money in the long term and LESS of a career, with LESS respect and adulation.

So the more I think about it, the more I CAN'T see where he's coming from.

It's been said that he was offered the same money elsehwhere; however, I know people personally that have taken massive pay cuts to change the direction of their careers - and I don't mean a pay cut down to a measly 200K a year, I'm talking from 50K to 17K.

The strange thing is that he does not seem to be doing himself any good, including financially in the long term which is not understandable at all.

Is it not better for your career and future finances to play first team football for Bradford for the same money and either make a name for yourself there or play for a bigger move? If he is as good as he thinks, then surely the minimum he can expect is to play for a good few years on that money.

However, by playing for Rangers reserves for two years would probably leave him on a Bosman but only attractive to the likes of a lower SPL team on about 2-3 grand a week - and maybe less due to not being seen on a pitch for years. Not only that, he'll be perceived as having an attitude problem and difficult to deal with.

He will probably end up with LESS money in the long term and LESS of a career, with LESS respect and adulation.

So the more I think about it, the more I CAN'T see where he's coming from.

I would say so yes but for some reason he doesn't so in the end it will be him losing out I agree. Maybe he knows something we don't or actually thinks he can break through i don't know but it's certainly a strange situation.

Perhaps he believes in his ability to force his way into the team?

Doesn't want the opportunity of a lifetime, perhaps his childhood dream to slip from his grasp?

He was quoted pre-season saying he didn't want a move because he felt he could force his way into the first team and if he left he would always regret not at least trying IIRC

Guest ecosse1

Re players contracts,

Whether it is Gow, Balde or whomever, I believe fans have a biased view against players whom on the face of it are ââ?¬Å?apparentlyââ?¬Â taking money from their club without putting anything back..

The reality is if clubs could get away without honouring contracts they would boot anyone out the door that never suited them and not give a toss, and keep those they could use/make money out of.

Have the Gers not signed players with the view they could sell them on to make a profit? Boumsong ring a bell? Football particularly under SDM is a business. Contracts are a two-way thing, they give protection to both parties therefore one party can�t be blamed if it works in their favour from time to time.

Surely the blame lies with those that sign the player, before offering a contract unquestionably they should check out more than his ability, do they? And by saying this I neither offer nor have an opinion on why Gow is an alleged problem..

One thing I along with everyone else whom posts here is very aware of, and that is the commitment and dedication that is needed to become a professional sportsman. Given that is acknowledged, then why o why would a player make it to a club like Rangers then just be happy to pick up a big pay cheque?

To me that whole notion is preposterous; there is obviously reason why Gow isn�t being given a chance. Speaking to a number of Gers supporters before his signing they were happy he was coming so what has gone wrong?

Like as in other matters Rangers, we as fans will be the last to know!!!!!