Think we should go for it , but the media will come out with the usual secterian related crap in the papers regarding this but stuff them , why not celebrate our NI players and fans there as much apart of the Gers as the rest of us.

Also why not have a Scottish day even Spanish, American anything that creates atmosphere must be good for the game and the players morale

my only concern is the love us mentality of the tims will make them follow in our footsteps and have an O'Irish Day or something along those lines.

but then again everyday is an O'rish day in the East End.

But i say go for it Everyone.

1- The organisers of this fun day and those who agree with it wouldn't bother to celebrate our American/Spanish/SCOTTISH players and heritage because despite their protestations, the event has fuck all to do with that and we all know it. It has everything to do with the "mischief making" Frankie so eloquently alluded to earlier. i.e plain old sectarianism. How many Scottish folk do you know that own an Ulster flag bought it to genuinely celebrate the few N.I players we have had and to uphold our friendship with the fans that come over?

2- If your up for it for innocent reasons then why would the Tims having an Irish day bother you? They could trot out the same excuses some folk on here predictably have.

P.S The best way to get it right up any selick fan with half a brain and a sense of pride in their club would be for us to have a SCOTTISH DAY!!!!!! I can but dream.

1- The organisers of this fun day and those who agree with it wouldn't bother to celebrate our American/Spanish/SCOTTISH players and heritage because despite their protestations, the event has fuck all to do with that and we all know it. It has everything to do with the "mischief making" Frankie so eloquently alluded to earlier. i.e plain old sectarianism. How many Scottish folk do you know that own an Ulster flag bought it to genuinely celebrate the few N.I players we have had and to uphold our friendship with the fans that come over?

Sorry, but you're as bad as the press. Equating Ulster with "sectarianism". I have roots in Northern Ireland. I think most of the crowd like the Ulster-Scots banner. You make a fair point about not having a day for Scots, (although I'm sure they have had that. Did you you not see TBO having the saltires and lion rampants at a game?) but why do you have to bring religion into it?

Sorry cotter but when I mentioned mischief-making, I certainly didn't mean sectarianism. I simply meant the organisers probably know it will annoy any easily offended people.

Generally though I think the intentions are clear - it's to celebrate our NI players, our NI support and our founders' NI roots. That's wholly acceptable and there is absolutely nothing sectarian in it. I'm surprised any bear would suggest so to be honest and you certainly seem like a good Rangers fan.

It's a shame that a Scotland/Scottish day wouldn't be supported with such fervour considering Scotland is the country that gave us the club that we all support and has contributed the most to the club's success.

Not to say there is anything wrong with an Ulster day, but my point remains none the less.

Fair point but TBO have had days where the Lion Rampant and the Saltire have taken precedence...

Perhaps a proper Scottish day would be agreeable though. I'd imagine it will happen actually.

Sorry, but you're as bad as the press. Equating Ulster with "sectarianism". I have roots in Northern Ireland. I think most of the crowd like the Ulster-Scots banner. You make a fair point about not having a day for Scots, (although I'm sure they have had that. Did you you not see TBO having the saltires and lion rampants at a game?) but why do you have to bring religion into it?

I'm as bad as the press am I? We are our own PR nightmare and are always blaming the club for their lack of reaction to bad press when really what we should be saying is "I wish they were better at cleaning up our mess." We get bad press but christ we make it easy for them with this sort of thing.

This thread is the most interesting in a long time as it gets a lot of bears out of their denial-lined comfort zone relating to their own views on this subject. You might have roots in Northern Ireland but the point is, as if I really need to make it, that 99% of the idiots waving the Red Hand at Ibrox are doing it for religious reasons that again 99% of them don't even understand. I didn't "bring religion into it", it's already there by default when these flags are paraded around Ibrox and we all know it, so please don't insult me further with delusions I will never buy into.

I love Rangers. I love Scotland. Yes I do remember TBO with the Saltires and Lion Rampants because I remember how it made me feel. I wanted to call up my celtic supporting friends and say get it up ye. I felt proud. It also makes me proud when I see Saltires at our away games in Europe. You never see that from them. What do I feel when I see the Ulster flag? It's not pride that's for sure. This is because I know what it means to the vast majority of people waving them and i know everyone else knows this too. Not because I immediately equate Ulster with sectarianism.

I would wager that some, if not all of the folk who have replied to my posts on this thread with considered, negative rebukes think themselves to be against bigotry in general. Ask yourself why your really making excuses for this pish and if you really want to see change at Ibrox or you just want to kid yourself on that you do. Noone's fooling me.

NOT HERE TO WIN FRIENDS LOYAL;):rfc:

Sorry cotter but when I mentioned mischief-making, I certainly didn't mean sectarianism. I simply meant the organisers probably know it will annoy any easily offended people.

Generally though I think the intentions are clear - it's to celebrate our NI players, our NI support and our founders' NI roots. That's wholly acceptable and there is absolutely nothing sectarian in it. I'm surprised any bear would suggest so to be honest and you certainly seem like a good Rangers fan.

Well yes I do consider myself to be a good fan. Definitely not a bad one. Even if I do say some rather contraversial things?

The organisers know it will offend and annoy people because it will be perceived as sectarian. Mischievous scamps! I am simply concerned for our image Frankie and this is bad for it. Very.

Have to say Cotter is pretty much spot on here IMO.

There isnt anything wrong with giving a nice gesture for our NI fans/players but to have such a gesture to them and not the spanish, english and mostly the Scottish fans, shows this sticks out like a sore thumb.

I wouldnt bet against there being more gers supporters who make the trip up from England than come across from NI.

Id would be interesting to see the reaction if Celtic had a Rep Ireland day.

There isnt anything wrong with giving a nice gesture for our NI fans/players but to have such a gesture to them and not the spanish, english and mostly the Scottish fans, shows this sticks out like a sore thumb.

I wouldnt bet against there being more gers supporters who make the trip up from England than come across from NI.

But Gribz they have Irish roots and lots of Irish fans come over and they have great Irish players like Aiden! No problemo!;)

I really don't see any problem with celebrating this and if you say it's sectarian then I think you have a problem TBO. As has been said there has been a Scottish theme done before (and will again I'm sure) and also other country themes like Holland for Dick and our Dutch players so why not NI when we currently have players from there and have had a few in the past and some of our songs have words relating to there (you can't just scrub the history of our club) along with thousands of our supporters who are more loyal than many Scottish supporters.

If other people and the press take this as sectarian then they also have a big problem. The press will say their piece of course but it's only to sell papers so they will twist it and call it sectarian as usual. Celtic can seemingly celibrate Republic days (I have no problem with this) and they get praised for doing so while we get the opposite.

Fair enough but how many of these supporters are Scottish that come up from down south? I'd say the majority. With the majority that come from NI being NI.